First signs this year in NC

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by eadsiam, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Walkabout

Walkabout Morel Enthusiast

I guess the grass always seems greener on the other side

1 person likes this.
  2. Chris1022

Chris1022 Morel Enthusiast

It's been raining off and on for days now... Today is sunny and 75

3. Walkabout

4. Cotton top

Cotton top Young Morel

5. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

southern Chatham co., near the rocky river.

6. NCRealEstateGuy

NCRealEstateGuy Morel Enthusiast

Like I have said, I found my first batch on April 1. A little later than normal for here in Charlotte / Concord area. But, usually when I find them at this location, then I can go to my other locations and find some there too. But, not true for this year. My other spots have seen zilch so far! This has not happened to me since I started hunting about 10 years go.
    Any ideas on what is happening here?

Walkabout likes this.
  7. Cotton top

Cotton top Young Morel

I am in north western Rockingham county. We are a little behind you but typically find our first ones around first of April. Just spent the whole weekend looking in some awesome spots. Nothing. The warm up stalled but we are warming up now with good rain so I’m hopeful for the next few weeks.

8. Walkabout

My best guess for the poor season in Charlotte/ surrounding areas is the epic amount of rainfall this winter and the relative mild winter we had.
    I've been skunked in my spots that used to produce and all my new spots too.
    Good luck NCRealEstateGuy

9. theshroomster

theshroomster Young Morel

Wish I knew...i'm in the same area found about 60 over the weekend, a variety and some were fresh and some old. My guess is last weeks 30 degree temp put hault on things...at least thats what i'm hoping for...Gonna go back and check my spots again with this weather we're having...I hate learning curves but thought this was going to be a good year.

10. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

11. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

Today. Northern orange co. and southern Chatham co.

12. Walkabout

I was mercifully given these today by a stranger.
    Still skunked on my spots, but my belly is full and I've got enough to dry for later and make a spore slurry with to attempt inoculation of some wood chips in hopes of growing some of my own next year. 20190408_144509.jpg 20190408_145440.jpg

Ms innc and Jamesh like this.
  13. Walkabout

14. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Have had some luck in Swain County. Picked about 50 nice yellows over the past few days. Some I had been letting grow since the first of the month and some are really fresh from the last few days of rain. I also found 2 half frees which I only see when it has been real wet. A few of my spots have not produced anything this year. It seems my prime time is always around the 15th of April, so I still have hope for more. I did have someone find one of my patches of young ones I was letting grow and picked them. Lucky for me the did not see the other patch of nice ones 30 feet away.

15. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Been watching these in my dog pasture since March 30. Photos taken April 9 in Whittier NC. 0409191638a.jpg 0409191639a.jpg

Ms innc, Walkabout and HawkeyeMerkels like this.
  16. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Had some good luck in Swain County Friday 4/12. Picked a couple of pounds of nice yellows. Most were fresh from a little rain on Thursday's rain. A couple of interesting observations for the year about sun and ground temps. I have a patch I have been watching in my dog lot since the end of March (pics in above post). Very sunny spot under some sycamore trees. I have a second patch of yellows the just started to come up this past week in a shady area under sycamore trees not more than 100 feet from the first patch. This past week I spotted the first of the smaller grays and tulip morels on a hillside on my driveway. Keep looking-they are out there!

Walkabout likes this.
  17. NCRealEstateGuy

NCRealEstateGuy Morel Enthusiast

It has been real frustrating for me this year. I found 28 at my regular spot on April 1. They had been up for no more than 4 days. I figured, better late than never, since I usually find this spot to be fruiting at least a week earlier. And then it rained real good and got cold... almost a straight week where the night time lows were 30 -32. I found nothing that week and blamed it on the cold, although I thought I would have found some that had popped during the warm spell earlier. So, after the cold spell, it has warmed up nicely and we have gotten more rain. But I have only managed to find one other spot that has produced. It was a triple - trunked Ash tree with 17 Morels surrounding it. So, that's it all season, and I have walked many very beautiful locations where I know for facts produce in last multiple years.
    The forest floor has a lot of standing water on it, and the grasses are taller than normal too.
    I will try a couple more times out, but it sure has been a strange season for me, here in Concord / Charlotte area.

Attached Files:

18. Walkabout

I hear that the year after a flood it's on like donkey-kong.
    I've been batting zero in some prime locations as well as you and everyone else hinting in the Piedmont area of N.C. This year.
    Good luck and happy hunting

19. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

IMG_1315.JPG
    Lots of rain. Plenty of old, some were looking pretty fresh tho.

So. Chatham co.