First signs this year in NC

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by eadsiam, Mar 24, 2019.

1. NCRealEstateGuy

NCRealEstateGuy Morel Enthusiast

I hunted two more locations yesterday and found two more spots that yielded 20 more. Almost all of them were very large yellows. Just a little past peak. One was under a huge triple trunked elm tree. The other was under a large Ash. All near a creek. We don't have a lot of Elms here, so when I saw this triple trunked Elm off in the distance, I was eager to get to it. Had about 10 large morels.

Ms innc likes this.
  2. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Checked my prime spots in Swain County on 4/15 and found only a few yellows. All were prime or slightly past prime. But at my home in Whittier I still have new yellows popping up. I have one patch of about 25 that will be prime about the end of the week. Time to move up the mountains and start looking for the smaller tulip morels.

3. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Checked my higher elevation spot this morning after Fridays rain. Picked almost 150 tulip morels in snow flurries. Saw more smaller ones still popping up. Hope the cold tonight don't freeze them. Still have 2 more hillsides to check in the same general area. Hoping to have more luck when the weather warms up next week.

4. brparris

brparris Young Morel

I’m between Statesville and Charlotte. I’ve looked at a wide variety of parks and trails from Catawba, Iredell, Gaston, Mecklenburg, etc every weekend since mid-March and haven’t seen one. What am I doing wrong? Lots of Mayapple, various non-oak hardwoods, privet, etc and nothing! Very frustrated...

5. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Found another 107 tulip morels this morning at about 3500 feet elevation. It was my adult Easter Egg hunt. Looks like another week or so and it will be over for the season.

6. Ryan Bing Bingaman

Ryan Bing Bingaman Young Morel

Hi my wife & I are from Elkhart in staying in flat rock NC FOR 2 days and love eating and looking for mushrooms ( morels

7. NCRealEstateGuy

NCRealEstateGuy Morel Enthusiast

Brparris, It has been an off year for me this year and I put in some miles hunting this year too. I found more single mushrooms than I found groups of them. I ended my season last week with only 75 morels I usually gt close to 300. I hunt the same locations as you it sounds. I look for streambeds with privet and green ash trees. The last ones I found on April 15, were past peak, so I think the season here is over. If you want to find them now, go to somewhere west and get some elevation. Probably above 3000 feet now.

8. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Went back to the same area (3500ft elevation) where I found about 250 tulip morels last weekend. With a bit of rain last night was not sure what I would find if anything. Was pleasantly surprised when I emptied my bag and counted 160. Have 1 more area to hunt tomorrow and that will probably end the season for me. So far about 500 total for the season.

9. brparris

brparris Young Morel

10. brparris

brparris Young Morel

Thanks! Glad to know it's not just me. I've looked in the types of areas you mentioned but no joy. Ha! Maybe you got there before me. I was just looking a few for personal consumption and a couple to try and encourage inoculation around a poplar in my back yard. Maybe next year.

11. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Had some spare time today so I went back to my favorite high elevation spot today really not expecting much of anything. Was pleasantly surprised when I came home with 60 tulip morels. This small 1 plus acre patch over the last 2 weeks has let me pick about 475 total. Sure looks like it is over for the year. My total for the year is over 600 which is about double last years haul.