Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been seeing a lot of content on my Reddit about hunting for these beautiful mushrooms. I have been copped up for a bit now so my husband and I are going to give hunting a try tomorrow! Any tips for the first timers?!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Keep your head down! lol. In all seriousness, if by some miracle, you do happen to find some on your first outing there are a few things to keep in mind:
1- Poison oak is really uncomfortable especially in the nether regions.
2- Stay off of private land unless you have permission. Buckshot in the nether regions is no fun either.
3- Keep a sharp knife each and when you do find what you seek, cut it at the base as opposed to pulling it out of the ground.
4- A mesh bag or basket is best for transporting your haul.
5- Do not eat them raw!
6- Don't forget your permit!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep your head down! lol. In all seriousness, if by some miracle, you do happen to find some on your first outing there are a few things to keep in mind:
2- Stay off of private land unless you have permission. Buckshot in the nether regions is no fun either.
3- Keep a sharp knife each and when you do find what you seek, cut it at the base as opposed to pulling it out of the ground.
5- Do not eat them raw!
Good Luck!
Thank you! Are they not to be eaten raw because of bacteria? I did not find any on my first putting but am hoping to go again this weekend. Knife, mesh bag, and water in hand!

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's not that they are poisonous; But you want to slice them lengthwise and put them in a bowl of water to clean them of any dirt, of course, but especially any little critters that might be inside where you can't see them. I rinse them around a couple times by hand and after 5-10 minutes I dry them on paper towels and then they are ready to feast on! What part of the state are you hunting in? Good Luck and Happy Shroomin'....

·
Registered
831 Posts
5- Do not eat them raw!
Good Luck!
You need a permit to hunt morels in CA?! Wow! Pretty soon you're going to need a permit to take a crap, wipe your butt, and flush out there!

·
Registered
318 Posts
You need a permit to hunt morels in CA?! Wow! Pretty soon you're going to need a permit to take a crap, wipe your butt, and flush out there!
Man, you got that right! At this point in time they (USFS) are undecided if they are going to issue them or not because of all the corvid crap. I just checked with them yesterday. (Technically, it's like a drivers license....you don't need a piece of paper saying you can drive.) It is, however, a legality issue I guess. I don't know what the end result would be. Probably take your burthday away! lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Morel mushrooms have the toxin Hydrazine in them which is neutralized at around 250 degrees so please cook them before you eat them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts