Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if morels can be found in the fort worth area. I am fairly new to morel hunting. There are some woods near me that look like morels could grow there. Lots of dead elms, ashes, and cottonwoods. There is a small creek that runs through it at the bottom of a south facing slope.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are some in Dallas area, but they are not plentiful any place I’ve looked. Worst case is you get a nice walk, and soak in some woods! Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went and looked at my spot 2 days ago that was near a creek and had lots of ash and elm trees. Covered a good area, didnt find any. Maybe there wasnt enough moisture in the ground or my timing was off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm wondering if we'll have much of a season in DFW. After hitting 70 degrees or above in January and February, and 10 days in a row of 70s (3 in a row of 79 degrees) so far in March while in a drought, I don't know if the rain we finally got in the last week will do the trick. I've been out every day, some casually, some deeper hunts, and I'm seeing very little in the way of any type of mushroom activity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have found some mushrooms when i was out looking. Mostly oysters and some turkey tail. There is a spot near me that was just burned recently underneath several cedar trees. Thats my next spot where i will look for morels

·
Registered
11 Posts
Someone asked when the season would begin in DFW area. I spotted the first ones 3/27 this year, but due to the warm temps they had a short season. I found my last ones today 3/31. Since the rain has been limited lately with warm temps and wind I am not expecting many more. Last year they started 3/14 and fruited for 15 days for me. This data is for Grayson County.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts