Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 83 Posts
Discussion starter · #27 ·
I went out this weekend, no mushrooms here in frederick area, if they are up now they are only small, 1-3 inches, yall are wasting your time and picking to early, go this weekend. Forecast is rain, warm weather, they will be up if they are not already. This weekend I will be hitting by honey hole, If they are huge I will let yall know, but this weekend be out! Here the may apples were 1-4 inches. I went to Barryville Virginia to another spot and may apples were a foot tall and mushrooms were up but small. As stated before, this weekend they should be worth picking, if they are up they are small.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Okay folks! Good news! To prove my theory they are up and exactly what I thought, they are only 1-3 inches. My dad and I picked 19, most were small at 1/2 to 1 inch and the ones we took were 2 to 3 inches which if I weren't so anxious for a mushroom sandwich so bad we should I left them all behind. They were all black morels and the grey ones in my honey hole were just starting at 1/2 inch tall. I will post a couple picks from my fist find today, 4/22/2014 season baby yeah!

Discussion starter · #32 ·
I'll keep yall posted on the size a development of these little ones I found and left behind. I'll check this weekend and see how much they grew over a 4 day period, hopefully they are huge! In the mean time, I'm gonna be hitting holes all week and from here on out! Good picking people. Hope you can view the pics cuz when I open them they are to small to see anything.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Well, the little grey ones were only a quarter inch taller. Found 65 total today, mostly black and a couple decent grey ones. Predicting Morels growth is impossible. 4 days later, no difference.

Nice haul! So your still mostly finding blacks? When (in your opinion) does that grey and yellow season really get going? Do you ever find Bigfoot Yellows (they're called that in Michigan), the monsters that pop up late in the season? I'm a seasoned Indiana morel hunter but I've had pretty bad season in the Maryland for the past 2 years. I'm hoping to do better this year.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Thanks thought so myself as we were all having a mushroom sandwich! Lol. The grey's in my honey whole have been up for a week and a half, some were two inches, some were and inch. I picked some and left others. I have found little white ones in my area to but they weren't worth picking. I'd say after this week of rain, next weekend will be prime. Last year I was picking Bigfoot Yellows 2nd week of may. Depending on the weather/temperature you can find them throughout May. Last year they died out quick cuz it was to damn hot and dry. Hoping this year stays 65 and rainy!

Curious about your comment about finding them in areas of undergrowth and grass.
I've always avoided those areas, having better results in more open (poplar) woods and around large rocks.
Any particular kind of undergrowth?
I'm in western Maryland.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.