Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
To be honest with all of you, if your in the open woods, thick woods, woods with rocks, in some ones backyard, it doesn't matter. If you have the right conditions, you have mushrooms! Most people just don't have the eye sight from what I see taking people with me, they walk by all of them! Now is the time to walk long distance around spots you have found them before and you will find huge dead black ones and if your lucky find a couple keepers. This way you know you have an unpicked location that you can return to next year. Soon, white ones will begin, this week or next, usually by the end of May we are picking them here. Now, as I have stated before, every spot, and every location is different and they are NOT very predictable! Every year for me is different, which is why I joined this site so I can reference my own posts for my record keeping. Good hunting to all of you.

"they are NOT very predictable!"
Last year I went with a friend to her aunt's house to look in some Poplar woods nearby. There was a nice fresh morel growing right in front of the lady's garage door. We found no others.
RE: your bush pics: don't see any mushrooms growing there - had you already picked them? Would love to see pics of 'shrooms actually growing in that habitat!

Discussion starter · #64 ·
Lex, you can be a hater all you want! What is your total at? You don't like the advice, look somewhere else. Every single one I have found is in the thick brush. You can question me all you want, I don't seem to have a problem finding them.

Only reason I post these surrounding area photos is we seem to have a disbeliever, if you have to crawl through the woods because of how thick the standing shrubberies are and bushes you won't find mushrooms there. Well that ain't the case and anyone who doesn't think so can keep on believing that.

Well white ones are up and hopefully they make it till next weekend cuz they aren't very big, left a lot behind, Today was a back breaker crawling through the shrubs to find what pecker heads I could find and grey ones. They were all fresh with the shade that brush provides and the ones in the open were dry and dead. I'm praying for rain!!!

PickEmBub. Could you please take a picture of a poplar tree bark and and elm tree bark while your out? I am still struggling to 100% identify these trees. A lot of the pictures I find on line are not that clear. I have only found 6 black cappies so far in the Hagerstown area. Going out tomorrow and hope to have some better luck! Thanks

Assuming I'm the disbeliever referred to, thanks for the photos. I really don't disbelieve, I'm just looking for some visual reference. I got out finally yesterday and found what is probably the last of the blacks in this area (was hoping for some greys or whites). Typical ridge-top terrain: grape vines, some greenery, low leaf cover. There was a question on this or some other forum about reconstituting those with dried caps. These were perfect for an experiment, so after chilling overnight in the refrigerator, I put these in icewater for cleaning, sliced them and put them on towels to drain. The caps seemed to reconstitute well. Of course, being that they were so far along, I applied the sniff and crumble test when I picked them - if it smells like a mushroom and doesn't fall apart in your fingers, it's ok, if it smells rotten and/or falls apart, it' not! OK - how do I attach a photo that doesn't have a URL - don't see a Browse...

lex, you don't have to go thru Photobucket, but I think it's the easiest . Photobucket is also free to use. Check out the FAQ on the Home page . there's a list of some of the other photo postings sites.

This is flickr and it just posts the link. I tried posting like the directions say, but all I get is a little blue question mark. I don't subscribe to Picasa, so I don't know about that one. With all being said, I suggest using Photobucket. https://flic.kr/p/aaNN7y

Hello all, I'm new to the area from the mid-west and was wondering if anyone here could help me out. I live real close to the Frederick Watershed area and was curious if people typically found morels up there. I'm from flat farm country and wasn't sure how or if they would grow in that rocky, hilly environment and at the higher altitude. If they do, I'm guessing they probably come on a little later than down lower. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

Discussion starter · #78 ·
Yeah this season came in and went out of style real quick. Every year is different becuase obviously weather patterns are not consistent. Some years you find them early April, some late April. Sometimes they last till the end of May sometimes they are completely out by May. If you ever get the opportunity to go to an apple orchard, absolutlety do so. Went to one this year and there was a endless supply of white shrooms. One of my family friends actually had a couple white ones pop up in her mowed back yard under there apple tree. Sweet! Will post some more pics later on when I get around to it of different tree types I hunt for around in my area for you. I will try to do better then online does with the pics.

Discussion starter · #79 ·
HEY HEY HEY! It is starting to look promising folks. Hope the weather keeps up they way it is and shrooms will be up in no time. What's yall's guess on the them this year? Let me hear it.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.