Fresh Morels

Discussion in 'Kansas' started by boone, Mar 21, 2014.

1. dfritz89

dfritz89 Morel Enthusiast

A buddy of mine found 3 Greys north of Topeka today! Ill try to get a picture

2. duckhunter2123

duckhunter2123 Morel Enthusiast

Ok I hear people are finding some in Kansas I'm getting out to look tomorrow if I don't have to stay late at work

3. loafer

loafer Young Morel

Didn"t find anything yesterday. It is very dry around here. Need some rain.

4. thegr8shroomonie

thegr8shroomonie Morel Enthusiast

Loafer

Same situation in my area now.Too dry. Only a couple days ago moisture looked good but ground temp was too cold. Now after a day of 80 degrees and high winds everything is dry dry dry. Ground temps are good now though. 52 degrees on avg yesterday.

5. moreltrail

moreltrail Morel Enthusiast

Too early still. I found a few pounds south of okc and they were small.

6. moreltrail

moreltrail Morel Enthusiast

There are plenty of wet places still. I walked several miles on the river yesterday.

7. tripod

tripod Morel Enthusiast

With this warm weather in KC I think this weekend they may be popping up!
    May the mushroom Gods be with you all !

8. ichabod08

ichabod08 Young Morel

Where should I be out looking, near water (river/creek), just in the woods in general?
    I appreciate any feedback.

9. duckhunter2123

I walked a lot of the creek beds this afternoon and came up with nothing it's still pretty dry out there RAIN!!!!

10. dchitw

dchitw Morel Enthusiast

I'm in southern ks and it's usually about the end of my season by now. It's very dry here and not a single morel.

11. catfish1

catfish1 Morel Enthusiast

I live in the lawrence ks area ground temps good moisture bad come on rain

12. kccatfish

kccatfish Morel Enthusiast

Looked in Linn Co. in woods that are very consistent year in year out . Way too dry on the hillsides we quit hunting and caught a few farm pond crappie. So not a bad day, rain this weekend will help.

13. wobegoneboy

wobegoneboy Young Morel

Topeka Tonight. They greys are out. It's on!!!!!! How do I post a pic?

14. wobegoneboy

wobegoneboy Young Morel

Found about 35 Greys, some pretty big for Greys, more rain!!!!!

15. duckhunter2123

Found only 5 fresh poped greys but hey I'm happy it's a start Olathe ks

16. thegr8shroomonie

thegr8shroomonie Morel Enthusiast

I have a question for all you shroomers. does anyone know the effects it would have on the mushrooms when a favorite mushroom location gets burnt off? Looks like it burnt about 2 maybe 3 weeks ago by a controlled burn that got out of control. will that hurt the mushrooms and destroy the spores in the ground? anyone?.... anyone?

17. drew4

drew4 Morel Enthusiast

From my experience with burnt areas it depends on when the area was burnt. If it is burnt enough in advance before the season then it will not have caused any damage and it puts nutrients back into the soil. I have found a lot of morels in burned areas before. It seems to be even better the year after they burn off an area. If they burned the area right before the season though then it could hurt that spot. We had an area we use to hunt and always found a lot but one year they burned it off just as the morels were coming up and it totally ruined the season there. We found maybe a hand full there and that was it that year. So if they just did it then it will probably hurt it but it would still be worth checking out. Hope that helps you out some.

18. dfritz89

dfritz89 Morel Enthusiast

Driving down k-10 right now in Lawrence and lightning is illuminating the sky ! People are finding a few around here but after this rain it's gonna be awesome! If anyone wants to get together and hunt email me at [email protected]

19. twofeathers

twofeathers Morel Enthusiast

20. ricomorelo

ricomorelo Morel Enthusiast

Snow really. Good Ol Kansas weather. IdK what this will impact our season? Now Im hurrying to pick all of early poppers i left to grow before the snow kills them. Good luck all