Gaylord area

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by rlpalm2001, Apr 27, 2018.

1. rlpalm2001

rlpalm2001 Young Morel

Planned my first morel trip up northern Michigan (Gaylord, Atlanta area) for May 9-11. Getting nervous now with the colder than normal weather. I've already paid for a cabin--anyone from around there think this warmer weather will get them popping by then?

2. MI_forager_chick

MI_forager_chick Young Morel

They should be by then

3. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

Ill be there the week after and hope for the best. Please post finds, info. I would really appreciate it. I checked soil temps. there yesterday and they were still in the 30's. Good luck my man.

4. jack

jack Administrator Staff Member

MMH, Still a lot of snow in the woods by me, ground is still froze solid too. On the good side, it's supposed to warm up starting next week.

5. Caroo

Caroo Morel Enthusiast

Sadness, we want to come up Baldwin/Cadillac region for the first time to hunt and the weather has us guessing when to plan too. More than normal, stupid snow.

6. jack

Also, most of the woods around my area " Lewiston " has also been lumbered out. Started doing that about 3 years ago and haven't stopped yet !

7. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

Thank you for the information Jack. I am going to try hunting burn sites this year. There are several within 50 miles of where we will stay and I assume, (hope) the soil will heat up a little sooner in those areas. Good luck to all.

1 person likes this.
  8. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

Soil Temps. In the Baldwin area are averaging around 48 degrees so still may be a bit early there. Are you from Northern IN? I am from Angola

9. Caroo

Caroo Morel Enthusiast

Yep. In Ft.Wayne

10. Freddiebeartn

Freddiebeartn Morel Enthusiast

I'm currently living in Tennessee and planning a trip to Traverse City the weekend of the 12th. I have a friend that his friend found the mother load in that area. Talked to my uncle yesterday and he has only found one small one. The snow more ice has melted in that area and should have warmer weather for the next ten days. he did say it has been dry outside the ice. If anyone has any info to share that would be greatly appreciated that its a 11 hour drive and 40 years since I've hunted Morels up there. I do get to visit but sorry family its Morel season.

1 person likes this.
  11. JumboJimmy

JumboJimmy Young Morel

12. JumboJimmy

JumboJimmy Young Morel

I have found Blacks East of Gaylord along Hwy. 32, around that time. Looks as if the season is going to be running late this year. Good Luck and enjoy your trip anyway!

1 person likes this.
  13. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

I do not have any specific information but suggest you go online and search for msu automated weather network. You can find hi/lo air temps, soil temps and precipitation for the last month and that should be helpful. I have never hunted the area but being closer to the lake it is usually earlier than farther inland. From the data I have seen on temps. they are where you want them to be but I have no info. on rainfall. Good luck

1 person likes this.
  14. Freddiebeartn

Freddiebeartn Morel Enthusiast

Wow thank you for the msu automated weather network. That site is AWESOME.

2 people like this.
  15. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

Good Luck and let me know how you do.

16. jms0001

jms0001 Morel Enthusiast

Hey Jack anyone finding blacks yet up in your area? My aunt lives in Grayling and found a couple nice grays in her front yard.

1 person likes this.
  17. Jpexcursion

Jpexcursion Morel Enthusiast

They are starting off great up there I am sure you will have luck just I would start looking on southern facing slopes

1 person likes this.
  18. jack

I've only seen a few Blacks being found, but I haven't been out myself yet. Blacks grow in my front yard and Whites grow in my back yard, nothing has come up in either yet.

1 person likes this.
  19. jms0001

jms0001 Morel Enthusiast

Thanks Jack, appreciate the info

20. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

Jack, Will your yard be producing next weekend? Ill be in the area and would like to look around. LOL