Gaylord area

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by rlpalm2001, Apr 27, 2018.

1. jabster

jabster Morel Enthusiast

nice pile of gills

1 person likes this.
  2. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Since my camera took a dump, I'm considering this camera. Has anyone had any experience with it ? My last one was similar ( Pentax W90 ) I thought it took exceptionally good pictures for not being a DSLR and I believe Ricoh has bought out Pentax now. The old one also had a Ricoh lens. Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 9.19.54 AM.png

1 person likes this.

3. old man

old man Morel Enthusiast

Chloe and I say goodbye, until next year-GOD BLESS

1 person likes this.
  4. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Don't say good-bye, stick around for the Summer & Fall mushrooms, some of them even better that Morels......I know, hard to believe , right....but it's true !!

5. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Summer & Fall Mushrooms
    Hey!! I'll chime in on this.

What's so great about mushrooming in the woods other times of the year is the number of edible mushrooms you can find on the same trip.

This pic below shows 5 different types of edible mushrooms I picked on just one October 10th trip into the woods.
    2013-10-(Oct)-10 018.jpg

1 person likes this.
  6. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

I see you said Oct. I was going to say, Entoloma abortivum already.......

7. mmh

mmh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I would like your opinion on the Mushrooms that are even better than Morels. I want to hunt others and like to start with the tastiest.

8. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Jack . . . you get a new camera yet?

Every year or two I spend some time looking so if mine goes kaput I can replace it without a long delay for my apparently necessary busy-mind analysis.

My strategy for the last 14 years has been to wear one out and get an identical one for replacement. I've had three almost identical Sony Cybershot's buying the second of the three used but apparently newish.

My image storage is at 25+ thousand images taken with those 3 cameras. Once I rode the learning curve (it took me several years before I'd used most of the functions on the first camera) I decided "that's good enough!".

So, share some more of your thoughts on a camera for you. I like the quality of the pics you share and you probably use the same camera for the videos. yes?

1 person likes this.
  9. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

One of my favorites is the Parasol mushroom ( Macrolepiota procera) and the Shaggy Parasol ( Chlorophyllum rhacodes ) However, don't confuse the latter with the poisonous Chlorophyllum molybdites. Our version of the King Bolete is also an excellent edible. Others are Coprinus comatus, Cantharellus species, Cortinarius caperatus ( Gypsy Mushroom ), Polyporus umbellata, Grifola frondosa, Laetiporus sulphureus and cincinnatus, Marasmius oreades, ( Fairy Ring Mushroom ) Hyphloma lateritium, ( Brick Caps ) Summer Oysters, ( Pleurotus ostreatus complex ) I say that because it doesn't grow on Aspen , like the licorice smelling one on Poplar in the Spring. These I only find on Maple stumps & logs in the summer. These are the ones I go after the most in the Summer & Fall. Then again, a lot depends on what recipes you use. Hope this helps somewhat cause I could still go on, although, some are not quit as good as Morels. Jack's Cooking Collage.jpg 10704141_10202341617294113_6649632356977660759_n.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  10. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

SB, Nope, haven't decided on one yet, but I have it narrowed down to 2, Either the Olympus Tough TG-5, or Ricoh's WG-50. My old Pentax W-90 had a Ricoh lens, so I'm kind'a leaning towards that one. Both are in the same price range. Both are also good up to 30 something feet under water, without a case too. My videos I shoot with a JVC Everio in HD.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    1 person likes this.
  11. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

SB, One little trick I learned with my old camera, was to back up 2 to 5 feet and zoom in, ( on a trip-pod or bean bag of course ) Seems like when I tried macro or real close ups they were always still a little blurry. Getting back and zooming in seemed to clear that problem up.

1 person likes this.
  12. mmh

mmh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Jack,
    I am of course looking forward to the upcoming Morel season and am sure you are also. I have a question concerning the black Morels I find up North.
    Most often the smaller one I find are a near perfect conical shape and have a richer color, a velvet look with much narrower stems as opposed to the larger one which
    which more resemble other Morels. Are these the same species with the larger ones just transforming as they age or are they actually different. The larger ones will fill the skillet faster but I think the smaller "velvets" are the most beautiful Morel of all. Thank You, MMH

2 people like this.