Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone searching in Geauga county? Bainbridge here...

I started looking this past week but have not found any. Found a couple Dryads and a bunch of ramps but no morels.... I have been searching the warmer places, open field tree lines, hills near creeks etc...

I am searching on private land with permission and see what appears to be lots of Tulip and Ash trees but very few elms. Have found some HUGE sycamore trees as well down in the Chagrin River valley in east Cuyahoga county (Chagrin Falls).

Anyone near me?

J

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went out again yesterday and today. Zero. The past two days I was in the Chagrin River valley. Think I found a false morel. Have a picture of it and need to figure out how to post a picture.

Found some more dryads as well. The "false morel" was down in a ravine near a stream by a huge dead tree. I also found a HUGE patch of ramps. Took some to a local chef for the Saturday nigh dinner special. Thousands of them on the hill of the ravine and very easy to dig. I took a couple pounds and pickled them. I may dig a bunch more and make a big batch of pickled ramps to keep for the winter. Anyone else have any luck?

J

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shroom was down deep in the leaf ground cover. I had to cut it out to get a good picture of it. I placed it on the fallen tree to get a better picture. Can anyone ID the tree from the bark?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mattingly-
How did Nelson go? I went to punderson for a couple hours but found nothing.

Mr. Morelski -

I have permission to hunt 100 acres of private land in the chagrin river Valley. Not sure I have ever seen an eagle though. We the Apple trees wild or like an old farm orchard? I see lots of Apple trees but they are crab apples does it matter?
The land is right in chagrin falls / hunting Valley.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alliance

I saw my first beef steak false more last week. Today I found what I believe is a bunch of half frees. If the morel species timing is true it seems it is just starting this next couple weeks for yellows. I am still new to this so I'm not sure. I think it goes verpas, beef steak false, half frees, then yellow, white, gray, and blacks?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So far I have found about 5 pounds of greys, yellows. Bunch of half frees too. Will post some pics when I can

GoldStick-
Do you think we need a bit more heat to get another push of shrooms? Or will they pop in this cold weather. Debating whether to go out tomorrow or not. Yesterday was the first day I came back with 0 in six trips.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Goldstick-

Any specific type of tree or ground cover you have been having luck? I seem to be having luck with cherry trees and rocky areas with good drainage. They also have been almost exclusively where there is very little green stuff near them. They all seem to be in bare patches of leaves on the ground. Any similarities?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Super busy but still found time to go hunting every day. Collected about 10+ pounds total with me and my hunting buddy. Gave up looking for only elm trees, cherry, etc. All I look for now is where the water is flowing, terrain and drainage. The spores are carried by water and collect in areas where they are trapped. The spores are concentrated in these areas. Add in the right soil and a dead apple/cherry tree and the spore pockets only produce more. However, anywhere water is depositing and draining well there can be a morel regardless of trees. Soil must be good and black though. Here are some pics.....

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
PS

I am not 100% sure but I believe the peak was on Tuesday/Wednesday. I have noticed a decline in the past few days. I am hoping with these sunny days coming up some more will pop and maybe get a second flush? I found morels every day I went out for the past 10 days but the numbers/size have been declining.

Goldstick-
This is my first year hunting do we get multiple flushes in Ohio? Or is it one push and then done?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.