Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
3 big yellows & a fourth that was eaten & dried... Not quite the season I was expecting, especially after hearing of the year they had in Athens, hocking etc.... Any is better than none...not giving up yet, gonna hit a new spot ASAP

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Super busy but still found time to go hunting every day. Collected about 10+ pounds total with me and my hunting buddy. Gave up looking for only elm trees, cherry, etc. All I look for now is where the water is flowing, terrain and drainage. The spores are carried by water and collect in areas where they are trapped. The spores are concentrated in these areas. Add in the right soil and a dead apple/cherry tree and the spore pockets only produce more. However, anywhere water is depositing and draining well there can be a morel regardless of trees. Soil must be good and black though. Here are some pics.....

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
PS

I am not 100% sure but I believe the peak was on Tuesday/Wednesday. I have noticed a decline in the past few days. I am hoping with these sunny days coming up some more will pop and maybe get a second flush? I found morels every day I went out for the past 10 days but the numbers/size have been declining.

Goldstick-
This is my first year hunting do we get multiple flushes in Ohio? Or is it one push and then done?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Still popping up here... Searched 2 spots today found 14 big yellows, still very fresh. These are 2 spots I've been through last week....been finding them all on hilltops next to large tulips...nothing in the low areas....unpredictable sums it up best

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.