Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
^Yes, 20 degrees for Saturday night, 30 for Sunday, and 40 for Monday, 3/12 thru 14. My highly dependable spot in Clarke Co has produced nothing so far. Last year, I didn't find any there until 3/21, and it produced a LOT last year.
I have reviewed my morel finding log books in the past and the seasons that I start finding them later instead of earlier in the season always produce better #’s for the whole season. Not sure why it works that way?

· Registered
124 Posts
In 40 minutes, I found 20 big ones yesterday evening, NE Ga. Going to do a real look today before the deep freeze tonight, and cut whatever I see, so it doesn't get burned by the freeze. I don't think I saw half of what was there yesterday. I was really surprised to find so many and so big. There was NOTHING in the same place last Sunday afternoon when it was 80 degrees.

False morel Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Fungus

Ingredient Food Cuisine Dishware Dish

Plant Leaf Natural environment Botany Organism

Gesture Fawn Terrestrial plant Trunk Grass

· Administrator
2,540 Posts
In 40 minutes, I found 20 big ones yesterday evening, NE Ga. Going to do a real look today before the deep freeze tonight, and cut whatever I see, so it doesn't get burned by the freeze. I don't think I saw half of what was there yesterday. I was really surprised to find so many and so big. There was NOTHING in the same place last Sunday afternoon when it was 80 degrees.

View attachment 41223

View attachment 41220

View attachment 41221

View attachment 41222
Wow that's Very Exciting & Excellent Reporting
Thank You @eidolon
Keep Looking

· Registered
124 Posts
Just picked 30 more, all I could find. I rinsed the whole bagful in a bucket of rainwater (which got noticeably cloudy from swirling them around in it), and I am going to take the water shortly and pour it here and there in the same area they came from, under all the privet. It was windy as hell as I was hauling them around in the patch, too. The ground where they live is already wet from a big rain. It's gonna be cold tonight.

Wood Natural material Trunk Pattern Plant

· Registered
944 Posts

View attachment 41223

View attachment 41220

View attachment 41221

View attachment 41222
They can grow really fast with higher temps. 80 degree days and 60 degree nights blow them up in 3-5 days from tiny ones. I am not surprised you did not see them a week ago. Its why higher temps shorten seasons and ruin the ones up.

· Registered
1,216 Posts
I agree with this. They years when we've experienced early hot spell, didn't turn out great. And you'd better get out and find what you can, because, at least up here in NE Ohio, it WILL get cold again and that just seems to monkey everything up! Go out again when morel season "usually" happens, and there won't be much happening! We all know that morels can be fussy. I also think that may be why I find the Morchella crassipes, or "bigfoot" morels in the last part of the season. It's really starting to get warm then, and that's what they seem to prefer. Who knows? Maybe too early hot temps bring up the bigfoot variety and everything else shuts down.

· Registered
229 Posts
We get the Bigfoot morels here in Missouri as well. They're just the last morels in the season to pop. They need warmer Temps and can thrive in 70-80s. If you don't see other species before you see those that means you either missed them or the weather didn't support their growth. A true Bigfoot morel will be easily about a foot tall most of it being the stalk, a few will have huge caps but critters get to em easy. Last year we only found a few but each were about 3/4 a pound lol.

· Registered
1,216 Posts
We get the Bigfoot morels here in Missouri as well. They're just the last morels in the season to pop. They need warmer Temps and can thrive in 70-80s. If you don't see other species before you see those that means you either missed them or the weather didn't support their growth. A true Bigfoot morel will be easily about a foot tall most of it being the stalk, a few will have huge caps but critters get to em easy. Last year we only found a few but each were about 3/4 a pound lol.
Biggest one I've ever found was 14" tall! And it was sitting spang out in the open next to a parking area, at my fish & game club! Not really a place where you would think to look for morels! and it was the only one there.

And if I was pastor j, I would have done the exact same thing. Mushroom are mostly water! It that gets cold enough to freeze, that mushroom if done for!

· Registered
944 Posts
View attachment 41226
Due to the freezing temperatures, I decided today was the day to pick anything and everything.
Looks like you timed that haul perfect. Lots of tight gills on many of them. Beautiful shrooms. I am up here in MO. Just wondering if there is any specific tree or habitat that is best down in Georgia? I know just driving a few hundred miles from my home base can change things quite a bit, let alone way down in Georgia. The morels all look just as good though. Sorry about the cold weather. At least it did not hit right at the start and kill the entire season. That is always a big risk up here in NW. Mo. We can go from 80 to 18 real easy when the fronts come through. No gulf air to moderate anything.

· Registered
229 Posts
Biggest one I've ever found was 14" tall! And it was sitting spang out in the open next to a parking area, at my fish & game club! Not really a place where you would think to look for morels! and it was the only one there.

And if I was pastor j, I would have done the exact same thing. Mushroom are mostly water! It that gets cold enough to freeze, that mushroom if done for!
That is so funny but typical Bigfoot morels around KC area for us grow the same way! Random solo boys over a foot tall. It makes me think that maybe on some lucky year we'll get like an actual decent amount of the Bigfoot morels.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts