Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, had to get out and look at my mushroom spots and look for new ones. I noticed you can actually see some green popping up in spots, and that moss amazes me its still green. I hope our lack of snow does not hurt the season. I have saw some old Hen of woods carcasses around some oaks I have never noticed before, early winter I guess. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think we will see a early spring, and since last year was so late, and maybe this year might be early, we could possibly see a difference of a 3 week start.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Antsy here too! I'm finding tons of old chicken of the woods and making lots of mental notes. Keeping an eye out for scarlet cups too. It's probably way early but last year was the first year I really took note of them and it was such a late spring I'm starting to watch early. Yes, brandones, I'm dancing for rain. Doin' my part :wink:

·
Registered
20 Posts
shroomtrooper, chicken. It's everywhere out there. Walking that trail in the early spring before everything leafs out it is shocking to see how much bright yellow/orange fungi you miss just 10' in front of your face, lol. Btw, I did find scarlet cups yesterday. Wow, exciting!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tuning in for the first time this season, and yes I also am getting antsy. Just hung up the coyote hunting gear ready for mushrooms now. Very very excited found a few new promising looking spots wile out yote hunting can't wait to see if anything pops up around there. O yea and trout opener in a couple weeks , man gotta love spring

·
Registered
20 Posts
shroomtrooper, I guess I've never found old hotw to my knowledge. Then again, I just started hunting it in earnest last couple years. I'll keep my eyes open. I'd say it's embarrassing how much chicken gets missed out there just off the trail but it's in some backwaters of the St. Croix river and boy are the mosquitoes healthy back there! lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think I'm maybe not being clear at all in my posts, lol! I was replying to you saying you'd seen some hen of the woods "carcasses". I was saying I've been seeing a lot of chicken from last year. You get chicken in the spring? Lucky duck! We start seeing it around late June/early July here. Where are you in MN??

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got ya eksophia, I knew what you meant its just that I have not found any last years Chickens yet. In my area I found way more HOTW than chickens.Twin cities area west.

·
Registered
16 Posts
it's wear were i am i find chicken and hen in the fall. when looking for morels i never find chicken maybe just my area moorhead area

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hang tight brenson, I think you're gonna have a banner year up there when they get around to popping. I'm waiting for Iowa to turn on; we've got a few reports of early stragglers. There's still time to get your stick ready. Mine's ready. I'll be hitting the woods on Friday morning.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Time and h2o. Time and h2o those are the missing pieces. And then my blood pressure can go down! Have a good year (god) I know you will. And brenson serch for them blacks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Went out today and checked the honey holes...nothing yet. However, another spot yielded 9 good sized ones! Yes, the season has begun!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts