1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Getting antsy

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by shroomtrooper, Feb 9, 2015.

1. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

Well, had to get out and look at my mushroom spots and look for new ones. I noticed you can actually see some green popping up in spots, and that moss amazes me its still green. I hope our lack of snow does not hurt the season. I have saw some old Hen of woods carcasses around some oaks I have never noticed before, early winter I guess. Good luck to all.

2. crazymushroomguy

crazymushroomguy Morel Enthusiast

I haven't been out to the woods since last fall, definitely starting to feel amped. Hopefully this weather holds and we see an early spring.

3. shroomtrooper

I think we will see a early spring, and since last year was so late, and maybe this year might be early, we could possibly see a difference of a 3 week start.

4. crazymushroomguy

crazymushroomguy Morel Enthusiast

I just hope we get the moisture we need, it was kind of a dry winter.

5. brandones

brandones Young Morel

Yep, spring is here, and I'm getting the itch. Everybody's doing their rain dance to get the ground a little soggier, right?

6. eksophia

eksophia Morel Enthusiast

Antsy here too! I'm finding tons of old chicken of the woods and making lots of mental notes. Keeping an eye out for scarlet cups too. It's probably way early but last year was the first year I really took note of them and it was such a late spring I'm starting to watch early. Yes, brandones, I'm dancing for rain. Doin' my part :wink:

7. shroomtrooper

Chicken of the woods or Hen of the woods?

8. eksophia

shroomtrooper, chicken. It's everywhere out there. Walking that trail in the early spring before everything leafs out it is shocking to see how much bright yellow/orange fungi you miss just 10' in front of your face, lol. Btw, I did find scarlet cups yesterday. Wow, exciting!

9. shroomtrooper

Huh, I found lots of Hen of woods, no chickens.

10. shroomster

shroomster Morel Enthusiast

Tuning in for the first time this season, and yes I also am getting antsy. Just hung up the coyote hunting gear ready for mushrooms now. Very very excited found a few new promising looking spots wile out yote hunting can't wait to see if anything pops up around there. O yea and trout opener in a couple weeks , man gotta love spring

11. eksophia

shroomtrooper, I guess I've never found old hotw to my knowledge. Then again, I just started hunting it in earnest last couple years. I'll keep my eyes open. I'd say it's embarrassing how much chicken gets missed out there just off the trail but it's in some backwaters of the St. Croix river and boy are the mosquitoes healthy back there! lol

12. stcroix rob

stcroix rob Morel Connoisseur

Pretty much Chickens in the spring - Hens in the fall.

13. eksophia

I think I'm maybe not being clear at all in my posts, lol! I was replying to you saying you'd seen some hen of the woods "carcasses". I was saying I've been seeing a lot of chicken from last year. You get chicken in the spring? Lucky duck! We start seeing it around late June/early July here. Where are you in MN??

14. shroomster

shroomster Morel Enthusiast

15. shroomtrooper

Got ya eksophia, I knew what you meant its just that I have not found any last years Chickens yet. In my area I found way more HOTW than chickens.Twin cities area west.

16. brenson

brenson Morel Enthusiast

it's wear were i am i find chicken and hen in the fall. when looking for morels i never find chicken maybe just my area moorhead area

17. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Hang tight brenson, I think you're gonna have a banner year up there when they get around to popping. I'm waiting for Iowa to turn on; we've got a few reports of early stragglers. There's still time to get your stick ready. Mine's ready. I'll be hitting the woods on Friday morning.

18. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Time and h2o. Time and h2o those are the missing pieces. And then my blood pressure can go down! Have a good year (god) I know you will. And brenson serch for them blacks.

19. caladene

caladene Morel Enthusiast

Went out today and checked the honey holes...nothing yet. However, another spot yielded 9 good sized ones! Yes, the season has begun!

20. shroomtrooper

I see your in Missouri, be a while for MN. Not too long tho.