1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Getting anxious!!!!

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by sarahrose, Apr 28, 2014.

1. sarahrose

sarahrose Morel Enthusiast

I have been dreaming about morels for over a month.....it's so strange!!! Lol. Can't wait to get up and hunt, but not sure I can even come this year if it's late like it was last season....maybe I'll get lucky and it will be more around the 12th of May instead of the later part of the month....time will tell.... What sucks for me is not knowing, and the tickets get more expensive the closer you book to the date you want to go. :(

2. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

Well just like last year I canceled my 5th and 6th of May vacation and moved it to the 14th 15th of May. And I might have to move it again, just like last year.

3. stcroix rob

stcroix rob Morel Connoisseur

" shroomtrooper " Ya might be right on for the 14 - 15. We're having the perfect set up for a bumper crop, all we need are a few warm night's,and they're on the way. Don't let the weather fool ya! A lot of stuff will happen quick this year. Asparagus not up yet, but the lilac's are pushin buds/flowers, hosta's,ferns are up,and skunk cabbage is already done blooming. We are on the cusp of picken. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  4. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

I agree oldelm. Everything but some warmth! The last piece of the puzzle.

5. shroomtrooper

In your opinion when will we be picking. Figure 8 days till temps are right, 10 days to grow. Maybe weekend of 17th 18th in metro area. And for the northern blacks, who knows, no experience with them.

6. crazymushroomguy

crazymushroomguy Morel Enthusiast

Anxious doesn't even describe it adequately, lol.

Im guessing between the 12th and 16th for the southwest, after this front moves through temps are looking good from Friday onwards....we definitely have the moisture.

7. shedberg123

shedberg123 Morel Enthusiast

Just spoke to my Rockford Illinois contact; he found his first morel today.. They are generally 2 weeks ahead of us.

8. buckthornman

My guess is mothersday weekend. It shall begin. Mother nature is been progressing while we sleep.just look at the signs . Suckers are running. Syrup is done. The leaves on the trees are going to open any day now. And the wily morel will pop! Black morels like young popple groves on hills:) can't wait !

9. shroomtrooper

Whenever they come, I believe we are going to have a great year, just like last year.

10. sarahrose

I'm just going to book a ticket for the 14-18th and hope for the best...ill have 3 whole days to look/hunt......or at the very least show my mom my spots so she can get some...:))

11. buckthornman

S.h. that sounds like a pretty good bet!

12. buckthornman

S.t. you are rt too. Lots of moisture means many morels. Think about all the schrooms we never find and the ones left behind...

13. sarahrose

I have my tickets booked for the 14-17....... I'll hope it warms up by then..... I wish I could send the heat from down here up there.... 100 degrees by tomorrow.....:-((..... I have a feeling I'm just going to come up and tromp around in the woods for nothing, but at least I get to hang out with my mom..... That's the best part...:))

14. crazymushroomguy

crazymushroomguy Morel Enthusiast

Finally past that horrible cold front, just a matter of time now.

Has anyone else seen that there are reports from the Mankato and Houston County areas? Seems like bunk to me, but Id love to be wrong.

15. growfindexplore

growfindexplore Morel Enthusiast

Not sure about Houston Co, but the Mankato Group on Facebook has dated pictures with tiny morels. Guy found a few pin pricks the other day. They are probably pinky finger tip sized now. In other words, there is no reason to be looking yet, as they have a 14 - 20 day growth cycle. Next weekend will probably be a smidge early yet (I'm sure plenty will go out), but middle of next week to following weekend should be the real kickoff.

16. buckthornman

Yep been reading all the posts! Hope its true. Gonna be checkin all my early blks next week.i'll drop a line after the first one i pick:) can't friggin wait!

17. coding goddess

coding goddess Morel Enthusiast

N MN: anxious doesn't even begin to describe me, round opener is generally when they start up here but the snow isn't completely gone and the ice isn't off the big lakes. I'm almost wondering if memorial wknd will be pickin time.

18. rookielookie

rookielookie Young Morel

first time poster here. Well except I just opened up a"topic" not knowing that I could of just joined in here. Our friends in Indiana picked 58 greys today in 45 minutes. We took them to the Grand Rapids area in June 2013 but only found 3 2 of which were dried up. Too late. This year my husband & I want to look in the Walker area. Poplar trees?

19. shroomtrooper

Old Elm, do you think the 14th and 15th of May for vacation for picking morels is still holding up? Or should I go with 19th 20th. Want to scoot up north to pick blacks also. Buckthornman let me know what you think also if you would please. I think I will be alright but not totally sure. Thanks

20. shroomtrooper

I know I already asked that question already, I am just so pumped to get out in the woods and walk for hours, just a brutal winter for me. I just read the whole thread again, that's how anxious I am, Ha