gittin' close

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by stripernut, Feb 1, 2019.

1. stripernut

stripernut Morel Enthusiast

Hope everyone is as excited as I am about the upcoming season. I've located some promising places on the map and can hardly wait to check'em out. Soil Temperature is at 54 deg F but we have a week of warm nights ahead. Won't be long now!

2. DIYDi

DIYDi Morel Enthusiast

Could you point me in a direction of how to go about locating promising places on "the" map?

1 person likes this.

3. stripernut

I look for floodplains around creeks the bigger the better. Then check the satellite image to make sure it's not too many pines.- good luck.

4. DIYDi

DIYDi Morel Enthusiast

Thank you, would you mind sharing a link for the map source?

5. newtimmy

newtimmy Morel Connoisseur

Stripernut, i hunt around metro bham and expect morels late feb or early march; not sure where you hunt in Ga, but ground temps are smoking from Columbus to Macon to Augusta and points south. I agree that someone in central Ga or central Ala will find a morel around Feb 20th... Good luck hunting over there

6. stripernut

I use an app on my phone called US Topo Maps. Also because the area I hunt is a Corps impoundment, Clarks Hill Lake, I can use the Navionics chart in the boat.

DIYDi likes this.
  7. stripernut

I hunt in the piedmont region 30 miles north west of Augusta, Georgia. Earliest I've seen here was February 25. Late March and early April seem to be peak for me. Good luck to you.

8. newtimmy

newtimmy Morel Connoisseur

StriperNut it sounds like our areas are similar. Been hunting metro Bham 8 yrs and earliest Ive found was Feb 25, 2018. On the best seasons primetime for numbers and volume seems to run from around March 20- April 5...

9. McG

McG Young Morel

I’m a new Morel hunter. Not sure where I’ll look, but I’m remaining hopeful on some family land around Eatonton area.

10. sustainable forager

sustainable forager Morel Connoisseur

What else would you like stripernut to do for you?

11. DIYDi

DIYDi Morel Enthusiast

I've not had any luck with the maps I was trying to use so I asked for a direct link? Two questions exceed a limit around here? That isn't asking someone "to do" anything but share knowledge. What is it to you anyway sustainable forager?

1 person likes this.
  12. danshroom

danshroom Young Morel

Where are you getting your soil temp data from? And at what depth?

DIYDi likes this.
  13. beowulf75

beowulf75 Morel Enthusiast

LOL
    I’m from Missouri and inadvertently got on this thread. I was thinking you’d lost your senses!
    We usually get our morels mid-April.
    Have a great year in Georgia. Let us know how it goes.

14. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

You want sandy areas close to running water, where the oaks don't grow. (and as said above, pines are no good either). Look for birches, ash (somewhat unusual in GA.), and / or sycamores; I've found them near Chinese elms too. Privet grows abundantly in those areas in GA, it's very invasive, and morels like privet just fine. Based on my own experience, they are VERY hard to see when they are small and gray, you have to look intently to see them. They could easily be mistaken for sweet-gum balls. Once you find one, look at the area from several different vantage points. As they get older and bigger, they lighten up, become yellowish or tawny, and are easier to spot. They do not sprout where the land is underwater for any length of time, so far as I can tell; they like floodplains but not swamps.

DIYDi likes this.
  15. stripernut

I ordered a soil temp gauge that has a probe which goes about 5" deep. Amazon >$10.00

DIYDi likes this.
  16. danshroom

danshroom Young Morel

Thanks!

DIYDi likes this.
  17. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

You could try the USDA soil survey map it may help...good luck.

DIYDi likes this.
  18. DIYDi

DIYDi Morel Enthusiast

Thank you. I appreciate it.

19. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

Striper, I know you said you hunt around Clark Hill Lake. My question is, do you find them on the lake shore itself, or do you find they also have to be near creeks? I'm thinking of doing some hunting up around the Richard Russell Lake east of Elberton. Do I also have to hunt near creeks or will I find them on the banks of the lake itself? Thanks.

20. stripernut

I have not found morels on the lakeshore. I have looked but I also think the environment there is not conducive to growing the mycelium. If I were at Russell I would go to the very back of Beaverdam or Coldwater creeks where they are defined by creek banks and walk up creek checking both sides for the "favorite" trees. If you see a dead or dying elm look real good around it, early morels can be hard to spot. Good luck. BTW- I fish for stripers up there a lot so if you see a boat beached and an old fart walking around in the woods looking confused it's probably me.