gittin' close

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by stripernut, Feb 1, 2019.

1. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

Thanks a lot. I have a buddy who has a big boat he keeps in the water near Elberton. It's an amazing place, hardly any people around most of the time. We've spent whole afternoons there and seen only 1 or 2 other boats. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to do what you suggest. I only found a few morels last year, first time I've looked.

2. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

Five hours stomping around in the muck from the night's rain, in the low areas north of Atlanta today, Saturday, 2/16 - peeper frogs were singing like crazy around 4 p.m. and we saw a baby snapper turtle going for a stroll on dry land, so it's getting pretty warm, as far as the cold-blooded critters are concerned. The frogs chirping was a big surprise.

3. pastorj

pastorj Morel Enthusiast

So here’s my thoughts, I believe we had a colder winter than last year and although the season is getting closer we are at least a week or more behind 2018. Two days after my first find last year, Feb 22, I found several pounds in another spot not far away from my original find. Those mushrooms had been up for at least 7-10 days.

Checked those same spots with no luck today. I will get back out in a few to see again.

eidolon and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Keir

Keir Young Morel

Do you know if Morels grow in similar spots to chanterelles? I found a good amount of those last year and was thinking of looking in those spots for morels

5. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

Like I said on this thread 6 days ago: You want sandy areas close to running water, where the oaks don't grow. (and as said above, pines are no good either). Look for birches, ash (somewhat unusual in GA.), and / or sycamores; I've found them near Chinese elms too. Privet grows abundantly in those areas in GA, it's very invasive, and morels like privet just fine. Based on my own experience, they are VERY hard to see when they are small and gray, you have to look intently to see them. They could easily be mistaken for sweet-gum balls. Once you find one, look at the area from several different vantage points. As they get older and bigger, they lighten up, become yellowish or tawny, and are easier to spot. They do not sprout where the land is underwater for any length of time, so far as I can tell; they like floodplains but not swamps. [look at Chris Matherly's foray films in Georgia, uploaded to youtube.]

6. pastorj

pastorj Morel Enthusiast

In Georgia, bottom lands with Ash and privet, if that’s where chanterelles grow than yes, same area.

7. DIYDi

DIYDi Morel Enthusiast

FYI: Someone I know has found Morels as of yesterday in Alabama!

1 person likes this.
  8. sustainable forager

sustainable forager Morel Connoisseur

I am tired of newbies like yourself who just want all the info handed over to them in a nice wrapped package, all the info is out there, you just need to research and put in the leg work like the majority of us did...geez how did anyone find a morel before the existence of the Internet?

9. DIYDi

DIYDi Morel Enthusiast

I understand your perspective but you are assuming that because I asked a couple of questions that I have not put in any legwork. The internet is another tool, you obviously make use of it yourself.

10. sustainable forager

sustainable forager Morel Connoisseur

I'm sorry if I was a bit harsh but your questions sound a lot like tons of other questions I've heard before, no offense. It's annoying when 50% of the questions on here are what time should I start looking and where's the best place to find morels?

1 person likes this.
  11. DIYDi

DIYDi Morel Enthusiast

I gotcha, thank you, peace.

2 people like this.
  12. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

When you find that package on you steps from Bama full of morels you will know how much they like you... good luck

13. DIYDi

DIYDi Morel Enthusiast

There's more to Alabama than "Bama" lol. Not certain I understand your comment, or I hope I don't.

14. NCRealEstateGuy

NCRealEstateGuy Morel Enthusiast

I use Google maps to locate creek basins and floodplains where there are few pines and mostly hardwoods. You can tell the difference on GM between HWs and pines. Here in Charlotte, NC, I look for mainly Green Ash stands, but also find them around the few elms here and sometimes the large Poplar. I use the Cleaver plant as an indicator too. They start around late March, when the Dogwood flowers just start to turn white.