Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know. Everyone I know is finding em. Everywhere I can go has already been super picked over since it’s all public land. I’ve even offered people money to allow me to search private land and no one will take it. I’m so frustrated with it I’m giving up this year and maybe next year. Time to start getting the fishing gear in order.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I’m in west central, Montgomery, fountain, and Parke county. It’s hard hunting and most finds have been in sunny locations or south facing slopes. The best is yet to come. Don’t give up. We got 2 more good weeks in my opinion
Good advice U2 are practically neighbors

·
Registered
183 Posts
I hunted as a kid, but didn't as an adult until my father died. It took me 3 years and enough frustration to want to quit before I began to find them again. It's not easy and takes time to find a good spot, not to mention that timing means everything.

My goal every year is to confirm that they grow in 1 forest that's new to me, so I have multiple places to go. I might visit 15-20 to make it happen...and if I don't find them one year, I usually will try to make it back at least once for the next couple years if the forest conditions are right. It's definitely not an easy thing to do. You still have a couple weeks...I think you can turn it around.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I know. Everyone I know is finding em. Everywhere I can go has already been super picked over since it’s all public land. I’ve even offered people money to allow me to search private land and no one will take it. I’m so frustrated with it I’m giving up this year and maybe next year. Time to start getting the fishing gear in order.
Been hunting these things for more than 50 years in west central indy, haven't found any yet this year, and it is frustrating, but as other veterans have mentioned, lots of time still. What's the saying folks, "you won't know if you don't go".

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hunted as a kid, but didn't as an adult until my father died. It took me 3 years and enough frustration to want to quit before I began to find them again. It's not easy and takes time to find a good spot, not to mention that timing means everything.

My goal every year is to confirm that they grow in 1 forest that's new to me, so I have multiple places to go. I might visit 15-20 to make it happen...and if I don't find them one year, I usually will try to make it back at least once for the next couple years if the forest conditions are right. It's definitely not an easy thing to do. You still have a couple weeks...I think you can turn it around.
Very similar story to this for me. Hunted tons as a kid, because my Dad got me into it. Once I had a family and young kids I made it out less and less. As I got older and tried to get back into it. It became very frustrating walking miles and finding very little to nothing. The last several years I have spots that keep producing. I also try to find at least a couple new spots evey year. Seems like most spots I find only produce for a few years.

My Dad also died almost 3 years ago, and it has made this time of year more special than ever to me. I'm so happy that he got me into the obsession of mushroom hunting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mother Nature is not on some schedule. In a real early spring I’ve experienced a season almost over before April. In another I’ve picked pounds on Mother’s Day. My best advice for west central Indiana is once you see the 1st dandelions in your yard start to seed, start looking. This is especially helpful for new hunters that don’t know their trees. Hell, I know exactly where they grow and have trouble spotting them before then. Look around where the dandelions seed 1st. By the road, on the south slopes, near the rock in the drive way. Where it has gotten warm 1st. It’s the same thing with morels. When the dandelions all seed it’s over. This is my yard today

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yay! That's a nice hole. Now you need to familiarize yourself with the rest of that forest so you're ready for next year. Look around you next time out and remember how far along the foliage is....it'll look almost the same next year when that hole pops. Also, if you go back to that hole this year, make sure to look west and north of your spot...sometimes they migrate over a few days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well we went back to the area where we found these and I found 2 more big ones. I’ll post a pick when I get home. One of them I entered into a contest at a local gas station for biggest morel. Currently sitting tied for 1st at 1oz. It’s actually kinda dry too. I’ll probably go back out again to the same area tomorrow and spend more time out there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts