1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Google Maps For the Win!

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by jonesey, Apr 12, 2014.

1. jonesey

jonesey Morel Enthusiast

I got tired of hunting the same old spots and not finding anything, so, on a whim I took to google maps to see if I could find some new hunting areas. So many seas of green. Then I realized that I knew an area with a ton of tulip poplars (my "same ol spots"), so I zoomed in on that area just to see what it looked like on the satellite imagery. Fortunately, I could see that when google took these images all the hardwoods were bare of leaves. Thus, I knew that all the very green forested areas were pine and all the brownish green woods had more hardwoods. I found a promising looking spot and jumped in the truck and headed over there. There were so many tulip poplars that I didn't know which way to head next. Found about 25 greys and yellows in about 2 hours. It seemed a little dry, so I'm hoping this area will pop if we get some rain.

Side note: I've heard many theories on why hillsides are good for morels. This area had a number of hillsides and I realized something. Certain hillsides seep water. It trickles down through the soil layers and comes out in certain spots. I was in areas that were bone dry. Then I'd move twenty yards away and the soil was totally saturated. Just a thought. Was wondering if anyone else had thoughts about this?

2. jonesey

jonesey Morel Enthusiast

Forgot to mention that I'm in Greenville, and that I didn't find a single morel last year, so this small haul was BIG for me! Took them to work and sauteed them so that everyone could try a bit. It's hard for people out-of -the-know to understand this obsession of ours!

Coincidentally, our banquet chef, who is also an avid mushroom hunter, had just asked me yesterday about where the morels were. I told him I hadn't found anything. Today, I walked in with my tiny sack of morels proud and ready to show them off, only to see a tray of about 300 nasty looking morels. Turns out he had ordered them from our food distributor for a fancy art ball. For two small bags he paid over $600! Finding them yourself is waaay more gratifying!