Grand Rapids, MI Hunting

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by GFS1985, May 21, 2019.

1. GFS1985

GFS1985 Young Morel

Hi guys,

Just joined the community and am just getting into the mycological community in general. I'm currently between jobs and would like to do some morel hunting as personal care in the mean time. Would anyone be interested in meeting up and looking for mushrooms? I've only found one morel this season and would like to have more luck. I have a strong biology research background and would love to study them at some point as well. If interested, please DM me with contact information. Thanks!

2. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

The Michigan Mushroom Hunters Club has a special division devoted to your area. If I'm wrong about this be assured there is a western MI club. It's the best way to learn fast.

I'd offer to take you out but I find most people are late risers and take forever to get in the woods and I'm a bit impatient :D. I've only met one person on these forums that likes to hunt for 8 to 12 hours straight.

Wade, I salute you!

5 people like this.

3. GFS1985

GFS1985 Young Morel

I sent a message to the MMHC yesterday and am waiting for a reply about membership. How early is early? I don't know if I could do quite that long given family obligations, but don't mind devoting a good chunk of time to it!

4. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

celticcurl, I'm sorry if I'm being too bold but if you're going to be in the UP in the Tahquamenon Falls area, I would be interested and able to participate in an all day hunt with you. My wife and I will be up there all next week and more than anything, I'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction while there. I've hunted morels for 27+ years but not in the UP so I'm trying to avoid wasted efforts in "scouting" areas while there.

2 people like this.
  5. celticcurl

Rick

I've never found any in da U.P but I'm going to give it a good shot this year. I'll be at Pictured Rock National Lakeshore camp hosting at 12 mile beach campground for the entire month of June so stop in and say hi if you're there. I probably won't get up there until the 30th because of camper problems. I was going to be there this Saturday but it's not going to happen.

1 person likes this.
  6. celticcurl

I like to be out soon after dawn. I really can't commit to anything this year because I volunteered to camp host up at Pictured Rocks this June. But it's fun to think and dream.

7. elmgirl

elmgirl Morel Connoisseur

We hunted in the UP its rough
    Check ditches and grassy areas only place we found any at all and we stayed in the same place! Good luck

8. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Thanks Elmgirl. Sound like you are probably referring to yellows/ greys and not the blacks when you mention the ditches and grassy areas. Is that right?

1 person likes this.
  9. elmgirl

Yep sorry only thing we ever found there besides tons of the beefsteaks

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  10. mmh

mmh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

No Morels yesterday, spent day scouting new territory.

11. Kbart

Kbart Morel Enthusiast

I figured with the weather pattern that this would be a banner year but things have been spotty for me in Kent County. I've been able to scrape up a couple pounds at best. I've gone into LOTS of spots where the conditions are textbook and nothing....

12. elmgirl

At about 4 lbs right now we are changing spots today going to our spot further north set up camp for the night hunt till dark

13. Cheryl Nelson

Cheryl Nelson Morel Enthusiast

I am totally new to the morel mushroom. Our guests last night identified that we have many growing near our weeping willow tree. I've called & left messages for a few upscale restaurants asking if they would be interested in purchasing any. I've had no return calls yet.
    Any input, comments, suggestions will be oh-so appreciated on how to sell these beautiful morels we didn't even realize had value. i.e. how to harvest, how to detect worm infestation and, of course, suggestions on the actual selling of these beauties.
    Thanking everyone for their assistance :)
    We live in the Ortonville, MI area.

14. ROusley88

ROusley88 Young Morel

I drove up to the Grand Rapids area from South Whitley, IN. Am I too far south still?

1 person likes this.
  15. elmgirl

Not in my opinion we were in that area and found some we just have a spot farther north that we wanted to check out. Good luck

1 person likes this.
  16. Cheryl Nelson

We are 2-2.5 hours east of Grand Rapids. Halfway between Detroit and Flint :)

17. Kbart

Kbart Morel Enthusiast

Google

18. Kbart

Kbart Morel Enthusiast

I am willing to pay upwards of 2 dollars per pound depending on the quality. Do you have any pics?

1 person likes this.
  19. Cheryl Nelson

IMG_20190527_093339456.jpg IMG_20190527_093607653.jpg IMG_20190527_093339456.jpg IMG_20190527_093607653.jpg IMG_20190527_093618854.jpg IMG_20190527_093339456.jpg IMG_20190527_093607653.jpg Have a good 2-2.5 lbs of morels. I'm also including pics of other mushrooms we've found. Wondering if they have any value ....

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  20. Kbart

Kbart Morel Enthusiast

Hi Cheryl. The value is that mushrooms are delicious and good for you. You should just eat your morels or give them to someone that would enjoy them. Though they are valuable, I don't think that you can just walk into a restaurant and sell them. I'm not 100% on this but I believe that a broker's license is required in order to sell wild edibles to a licensed establishment. Again, I'm not positive on that but you don't have a lot of Morels there either. Just enjoy them!

1 person likes this.