Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

grant county and surrounding areas

5K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  brushbusterbutch 
Well, between Grant County today and Wabash County last evening, I checked all of the spots where I've found them in the last few years, as well as a couple of new areas and have one small grey to show for it. One year ago tomorrow (May 3), I found 78 yellows and 23 greys in these same spots. So, either:

a: They are later than last year in this area
b: Every one of my spots coincidentally are not going to produce this year
c: It's going to be a bad year for this area

I'm going to say a. I know others have mentioned signs that the morels are up, mine is that when the apple trees are in bloom, it's time to look for yellows. I have noticed that the apple trees are budding, but not in full bloom in Huntington and surrounding counties. As another poster mentioned, it is beginning to get dry. After a warm rain Monday/Monday night and temperatures in the upper 70's and lows in the 50's, by Wednesday or Thursday they should be going strong.

I found 16 yellows in about an hour of hunting this evening (northern Grant County).

Eight were around a dead elm and had been up for awhile as they were large and beginning to dry out. Six others were large and fairly fresh, probably up only a few days, and the other two were small and freshly popped.

I found 22 more in northern Grant County this afternoon. About half are getting old and the other half are fresh. It is interesting that the largest patch I found was eight and another with five. The rest were either loners or two together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.