Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

grant county and surrounding areas

5K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  brushbusterbutch 
I found 16 greys they were very small had been up for 2-3 days, 20 ft. away found 7 very big yellows they were fresh. All in my neighbors yard in Marion. The greys were by two dead elms, and the yellows were by the firepit in the grass. None of my usual early spots have produced yet, same with my buddys spots. I think i'll be hunting the spots that produce every other year. Be ready this weekend with warmer temps they'll be everywere its that time!! Happy hunting everyone!! Let me know when you start finding them at the resevoir!

Found about 18 more today, greys. most of them was dryed really bad they had been up for awhile but i did find 4 very fresh greys that are also a lot bigger in size.A woods inside town off rail road tracks. All were found 10 ft from the edge of the woods 5 ft from small dead elms and ash. All were by thereselves no other around for at least 50 ft befor i found another. Very odd start to the season hopefully the yellows start out a lot better!!

Looked for 7 hrs in 5 diffrent patch woods. Found about 17 more greys and 2 yellows. about 6 were small and burnt bad, the rest were very large and fresh. found in private patch woods between marion and gascity. All were growing on the edges of the woods no more than 5ft in the woods in briar patches. Usual spots still not producing anything!!! I have one early spot i find 150+ every year for the last 8 yrs and nothing yet. I have seen my other spots not produce every season though. today i'm checking my spots that didn't do good last year. But i always find more greys than yellows in all my spots maybe the yellows will come up in them this year. I have seen this happen about 3 yrs ago in a few of my spots only produced late yellows instead of greys. i have 6 hours to look today lets hope i have to get the trashbags out and put the potatoe sack up lol!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.