Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Growing Degree Days have seemed to take on some popularity the last few years. A good thing. My father has hunted since 1948, and myself since 1972, in many states from Midwest to southeast. We have followed ground temps and air temps and growing degree days. Regarding growing degree days, our best collective hypothesis is morels generally begin fruiting between 800-1100 GDD. Yes, you will find an exception 5% of the time outside this range. The 3 main things that pull the morels within this range are 1) soil moisture, 2) duration and sequence of each cold, cool, warm and/or hot spell, 3) the January 1 starting point of soil temp & moisture.. The conclusion we have arrived at is once the first 1”-1.5” greys appear in a given area you have generally 250-350 GDD left for them to fruit; and it doesn’t matter if they started at 830 or 1075. Now, that will usually play out as 10 days on low end, 14 days on average and 18 days on the high end for the morels to fruit in that given area. Please weigh in if you follow or have interest in GDD’s

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MM, i just use greencastonline.com. Under resources menu is GDD and put zip code in and use 32 F as the base number

·
Registered
277 Posts
Growing Degree Days have seemed to take on some popularity the last few years. A good thing. My father has hunted since 1948, and myself since 1972, in many states from Midwest to southeast. We have followed ground temps and air temps and growing degree days. Regarding growing degree days, our best collective hypothesis is morels generally begin fruiting between 800-1100 GDD. Yes, you will find an exception 5% of the time outside this range. The 3 main things that pull the morels within this range are 1) soil moisture, 2) duration and sequence of each cold, cool, warm and/or hot spell, 3) the January 1 starting point of soil temp & moisture.. The conclusion we have arrived at is once the first 1”-1.5” greys appear in a given area you have generally 250-350 GDD left for them to fruit; and it doesn’t matter if they started at 830 or 1075. Now, that will usually play out as 10 days on low end, 14 days on average and 18 days on the high end for the morels to fruit in that given area. Please weigh in if you follow or have interest in GDD’s
I like to ice fish and a few day ago and found info on Freezing Degree Days, an equation for figuring out how much ice a body of water might gain each day. It is as follows,
15 FDD = 1 inch of ice. Take the avg temp, for example, high of 30 low of 20 = avg of 25 degrees, 32-25 = 7 Freezing Degree Days or about 1/2 of ice. I can say after following the temps for 10 days, drilling countless holes, on 5 different ponds, I don't take much stock in the FDD for ice making.

Intereted to see other folks experienc with the GDD, Good luck this season.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I keep an eye on GDD. I like the maps at Daily degree day maps of USA I scout new spots until we get to about 850, then start visiting my known early spots. I mostly use GDD as a way to keep myself from wasting time too early. I'm going to see if my small grey growing season lasts 250-350 GDD this year.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tons, i am saying the greys start, but the entire fruiting period of all grey & yellow esculantas will last GDD around 250-350 which usually fits into a 10-18 day period. I realize blacks are an earlier mushroom and my analysis doesnt include blacks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts