1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Half Free Morels

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by jason09, May 30, 2013.

1. jason09

jason09 Young Morel

Found a hillside full of these. Not too familiar with this type, I know I can eat them but anyone have input if they are worth picking and if so cooking tips? Much appreciated

2. moreless

moreless Morel Enthusiast

Like eating a corn caught lake Vermilion Bullhead.
    You can eat them

But I recommend soaking them in milk, throwing out the mushroom
    The drinking the milk.

Much more tasty

JVB

3. tundraking

tundraking Morel Enthusiast

MoreLess,
    Sounds like you ate wrinkled thimble caps... They look like a half free, but don't taste so good.

4. citiescities

citiescities Young Morel

I've never found a half-free in MN. Are they common?

5. growfindexplore

growfindexplore Morel Enthusiast

Just found my first couple of Half Frees last weekend. Really small and fragile. I cut them in half to help ID them, and I believe 2 of the 3 were half free and the other possibly a Verpa. The caps were all so small that I couldn't determine the connection point to the stem so I didn't feel comfortable giving them a 100% ID'd. Versus edible morels, I wouldn't describe them as "common" (3 vs. 350 last weekend), but certainly not impossible. if many were found and positively ID'd, I'd give them a taste, but they are so small and delicate you'd need a ton of them to make anything with.