Help fix mo fb 4-8-18

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by jamie, Apr 8, 2018.

1. jamie

jamie Morel Connoisseur

I don´t use Facebook but there is something that needs corrected on the Missouri morel hunting page and maybe somebody who uses Facebook will make the correction. I saw where somebody had asked if the recent cold weather would effect the morel hunting. The moderator of the page, whom one would expect to be knowledgeable on morel hunting replied saying to my surprise that ¨the cold weather would not have any negative effect on new growth as well as it would prolong the season and keep fresh anything that is already up.¨ I am dumbfounded in this reply as nothing could be any further from the truth. The fact is where morels have already started growing it depends on how cold it gets and for how long it stays cold as well as how far along in the season it is and how warm it has been to date. While a slight dip in temperatures for a short period of time may have minimal effects, a big drop in temperatures to the teens-twenties for an extended period of time like over-night is guaranteed to have dramatic negative effects on any future morel growth if there is any at all and it will most likely ruin anything that is up.

Another thing i also noticed was a soil temperature map was posted as a tool to use to know when to go hunting. A soil temperature map of this type is taken in a dirt field at 3-6¨ deep in full sun all day. A map of this type has virtually no correlation whatsoever with the ground temperatures in the micro climate where morels grow in the top half inch of soil where there is over 20 degrees difference in the ground temperatures of direct sun light and in the shade or even a shadow.

I am sure everybody means good but incorrect information does not help anyone.

Hot Load and Morelofthestory402 like this.
  2. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Morel Connoisseur

Well I sir am the moderator of which you speak. The cold we experienced was not here long enough to stop the season, it just simply was not, it was only cold over night. You also didn't quite get the quote right either. I said the small ones that are still covered with leaves will be fine as the ground below them is still warm and the leaves are kind of a blanket keeping the ones underneath insulated and any that had not come up yet would MOST likely not be effected by the cold as the ground temps did not fall that much, which they didn't. And as you can see if you read this page or get on FB the morels are still coming on strong in the southern part of the state and the mid central to north have yet to even really get started, only a few reports.
    I found a few Monday in Dallas county that were very fresh and had most likely came up several days earlier in the warm spell, most were perfect shape as they had been preserved by the cold, a few had freezer burnt tops but still had managed to grow more.
    As for the soil temp map everyone with a brain knows they are agricultural soil temps, it is intended to give folks an idea as to what the ground temps in their area are, a guideline if you will.
    I use a digital thermometer to take my own soil temps in the timber and river bottoms I hunt and even there I can get varying temps that fluctuate by as much as 7 to 10 degrees depending on sun exposure, we all know sand warms faster than dirt. I have picked morels in the snow on more than one occasion and so have many other people.
    You don't have to agree with me but from my experience I stand by what I said. I have been at this for a couple of decades and do feel that I have given and give good advice. We do have 78,000 followers that look to us yearly for good reliable information, which we provide.
    Since you feel my comments were so far of base I must assume that you are not hunting morels any longer this year? Would that be correct or are you still looking?
    One would also wonder if you "don't use Facebook" how in the world did you even see the post?
    Happy hunting!

COMO-REN1199 likes this.

3. joemoris

joemoris Morel Enthusiast

Gotta say here in the middle of the state that the cold weather has crushed expectations. In my 30+ years of hunting, my logbooks median best day picking has been April 18th. Here on the 19th and I am sitting at 0 finds si far. Many friends are yet t pick one locally or anywhere North of us in St Louis. These cold temps are a disaster for our area

COMO-REN1199 likes this.
  4. DirtyDog

I am sorry to hear that. I picked over 100 in the middle of the state yesterday, all nice fresh grays about 2-3". As for north of STL that area really has not started yet, same for NWMO, NEMO. I am not trying to be an a$$ here my morel hunting friends but my experience both past and present must be different from yours.

1 person likes this.
  5. joemoris

joemoris Morel Enthusiast

Right-season hasnt started yet, but on every year since 1992 excepting for 1994, by this time I would have 5lbs average and many years 10+ lbs on limited time afield. Now when I say a disaster, I dont mean that the mushrooms wont grow-they will, they always do. I mean that the season changes are a disaster for people who take time off work etc and that the mushrooms will require much more time to pick same amounts because of wasted days, and the season changes can be very hard to interpret. NY earliest find in STL is Feb 17th my latest in year was June 12th. This year is in competition with 1994 in terms of worst season, for me according to logs.
    Warmest temp forecast for next 8 days = 66 F. Soil temps way down as well for this time. Bad news all around

**EDIT** Ive followed that page for years, thanks for the time you spend keeping it up

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    DirtyDog likes this.
  6. DirtyDog

I agree with you, season is not really started in the north parts. I still have hope for the middle though as I said I picked over 100 nice ones yesterday in mid central and it appears they are just really getting going. A lot of the younger/newer hunters who just started in the last 4 or 5 years are thinking we are way behind when in reality based on past years experience we are really close to "normal" whatever that means. I am in the Kansas City area and 10 years ago we never really got going until around tax day. I have great hopes for this year, to me it is setting up for the perfect storm, a lot like about 6 or 7 years ago when we killed it!
    And as for the Facebook page, thank you for following! It takes 5 of us to keep it going during season. This year I am planning on "going live" when I find a mother load spot. We just had a give away where we gave away a very nice Morel Walking Stick, we may have another giveaway soon but not sure.
    May your bags be full!

7. jamie

jamie Morel Connoisseur

8. jamie

jamie Morel Connoisseur

My post was not an attack on you personally as you clearly made it out to be. I simply stated fact based on 45 years of hunting. First off, one needs to understand the 3 cold snaps after fruiting were cold and long and so was the hot 87 degree day. Lets see, this started on the 8th, almost 2 weeks ago. Do you still stand by your opinionated, baseless assumptions? May I refer you to the Facebook page you speak of. Read all the recent posts. This is prime season and what do the posts say? Rather than get offended and waste your efforts attempting to justify your personal assumptions and worrying about me, maybe you could post a few links to other sites that can help hunters with things they need to know like how to identify trees or how morels live in micro-climates that no soil temp map can show you or even of how morels spores are wind blown and they can grow anywhere there is limestone and a judicious tree, or maybe even tell them that morels dont grow when the temps are over 80. You cant go wrong providing any truthful information. You can always post a disclaimer.....o yeah, you can find me still picking in Missouri if you go to lower elevations where the temps didn`t reach 80.
    As for the Facebook deal,it appears the vast majority of members are from other states who are just watching to see when they need to start looking and a handful of newbies. Due to confidentiality laws of which I am bound, I am unable to elaborate as to why I do not use it. clik/clik...

1 person likes this.
  9. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

You want to argue about Facebook, go to Facebook !!!

10. the original morelmama

the original morelmama Morel Enthusiast

Can someone tell me how to start a thread for the St. Louis area for 2018? Any help would be deeply appreciated. I've been hunting morels for close to 60 years so I'm hopefully better at hunting mushrooms than posting on the internet. :)

1 person likes this.
  11. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Click on the state you'd like to create a thread on. Look in the upper right hand corner and it will state 'Post New Thread'. Click there.

1 person likes this.
  12. the original morelmama

the original morelmama Morel Enthusiast

Geesh - so simple. How did I not see that. Thanks so much for your help! Good hunting!

1 person likes this.
  13. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Dirty D, glad you got some to eat. I'm going to need to chase some rain maybe tomorrow it looks like. Went up across the border in Ia. today visiting a relative so I took a 5 mile walkabout in the timber. The may apples were just poking through the ground. This April may set an all time low temp. record for the month, at least Kc north. Which is why we are still waiting. Anyone have any asparagus up yet north of the river? Jamie, I don't know were you picked up that stuff about no morels germinating over air temps. of 80. its just not true. Your opinion. Ever hunt the Flint Hills? If 80 shut them down there they would never grow. I can go with the soil temps getting to high, not air.

14. jamie

jamie Morel Connoisseur

o_O Yep. It is the ground temp that causes the morels to quit fruiting. However, that secret ground temp is reached only when the air temp is 80 degrees or above. Just like the cold snaps, it all depends on how long it lasts and how high the air temp is. If you ever see new morels in a place that had a day of 80 degrees you better document it because its a first. As they only fruit in warmer temps, the big open cell yellows is your sign that the temps have gotten to high and the morels are over in that area.

;) CEDARS Cedar trees can not produce morels as they are not a dedicious tree. The reason you find morels around cedars is because the morel spores are wind blown which means they can grow anywhere. Think of the zillions of tiny spores as light snow. When the snow is blown by the wind, it piles up on the down wind side of obstacles(cedar trees). Ever find morels in CRP grass with no trees around?

15. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Nice, Here is the problem with your logic as I see it. First, those morels did not come up with those wide pores but time up and heat will cause it. Yes the hotter it is the smaller the wide pore morel. As for cedars when we picked them the entire cedar timber was filled with morels. Many had rings of morels around their drip line if they were out it the open. That drought year all of the cedar and cottonwood in the Flint Hills went nuts. I agree with the widespread spores and limestone soil, but i do think there is some relationship there with cedar. As you can tell i am bored. The lack of rain in N. Mo. is going to cause a poor season, I am going to need to do a lot of driving to have any fun. I imagine the truth on morels is that I learn something new all the time, so I listen to what everyone says and then see if it applies. At almost 60 I have seen morels in so may weird places that I expect anything. I still consider the elms and cottons the best but have learned to keep and open mind. Nice discussion Jamie.

DirtyDog likes this.
  16. huntergatherer

huntergatherer Morel Connoisseur

of course cedars can and do produce morels, so can conifers

DirtyDog likes this.
  17. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

Jamie ~ It is the ground temp that when it warms up to far, they do stop fruiting, However this is when the ground temp is upper 60's to low 70's. The air temp does not indicate when the season ends, ONLY the ground temp dictates that. With that being said i don't know where you got the 80 degree number from, but i'd forget about it. If your saying the air hits 80 and their done, okay leave more Morels for me. If your saying they are done when the ground temp hits 80, It never gets that warm.... let's face it, Not everyone is cut out from 6 hour hunts through the timber.

18. jamie

jamie Morel Connoisseur

$1000 bet for GREYS & KB EACH Cedar trees CAN NOT produce morels. Only dedicious trees can produce morels of which cedar trees are not. Please paypal the 1000 to my email address. Think where does the windblown snow pile up around a cedar-spores do the same thing. Cheap lesson bet you never forget...Buyer is late-gonna be 70lbs for sale in a few mins if they dont show.

19. jamie

jamie Morel Connoisseur

CORRECTION: Please excuse my oversight. The bet should have been addressed to the two whom replied that cedars can produce morels which was huntergatherer and kb. Greys was mistakenly listed by me and I accept full responsabality for the mistake.
    I want to apologize for mistakenly offering you a bet on cedars when your post did not mention them. I agree on the temps. You are welcome to hunt behind me or with me anytime. I dont pick any open cell or over 5 in blondes and if I am doing my job correctly, I shouldn`t even see any like that. :confused:

20. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Well Jamie, I guess you owe me then because I have a picture of over #90 picked on nothing but cedar. So I have my proof and an eye witness. Go tell the guys in Okl. morels don't grow on cedar. Just your opinion, it is not worth more than anybody else. I don't even need the 1000, keep it you may need it.

1 person likes this.