Help fix mo fb 4-8-18

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by jamie, Apr 8, 2018.

1. jamie

jamie Morel Connoisseur

Not a troll. Been hunting for longer than you probably are old. Took me over 30 years of hunting to become one with mother nature and to get a understanding of the morel. Not a year goes by that I dont learn something new. I was just trying to share usefull info when this all started. Anyway, nothing here is outdated. No matter where one is, morel spores are windblown-could have been there for hundred years or more and the trees that caused it all could have been dead and gone before any of us were born. Regardless, Trees in the Pine tree family do not have the necessary makeup to produce or host morels. This fact will never change ever. Think what you will. I am willing to lay a grand on it and anyone is welcome to take the bet. This should tell how much you believe in your opinions. I applaud DD for finally posting a true fact. Dont forget the bet-anyone of you-1000.

2. trotline

trotline Morel Connoisseur

3. Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius Morel Enthusiast

I'm 41 and this is my first real year of morel hunting (always been more into gardening). I readily concede that I know next to nothing beyond what I've read in books (or on this site) about the subject which is why I did not join the fray in your ongoing debate. But your discourse has now drifted away from mushrooms and into an area over which I have a decided expertise (probably more so than anyone on this site). You see, I have nearly 40 years' experience in being an a-hole (it's genetic with my family), so I can readily identify another when I encounter one. You may not be a troll, but you're definitely an a-hole. Those are facts you can take to the bank.

T tom, DirtyDog and (deleted member) like this.
  4. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Connoisseur

I know one thing for sure dirty dog and Jamie DO NOT like each other. It seems every year the scienific facts change on morels. Some say greys whites and yellows are all the same mushroom. Some say they are all diffent. I say I don' care as long as I find a bunch.

DirtyDog and (deleted member) like this.
  5. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Morel Connoisseur

I don't know Jamie. If you read my first response to his you will see I was polite and courteous in my response. He the went off on a tangent that has now lasted about 3 weeks. He just won't quit. He is convinced he is right and he is not going to be persuaded by anyone or any information contrary to his beliefs.
    He claims to be a great morel hunter who is pulling in poundage but I have seen nothing out of him besides vitriol and contempt.
    He perhaps is not aware that KB is one of the most respected morel hunters in the Midwest (sorry to put you out there KB but I feel this is a fair statement)
    Jamie is set on being right and there is no information in the world that would change his mind. Dr. Kou has stated that morels grow with conifers and so have many other real experts. The fire burns out west are proof enough alone to any open minded person to acknowledge that morels do indeed grow under and around pines, coniferous trees.
    I to agree as long as my bag is full IDC what tree it was.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  6. DirtyDog

LOL, well stated!

7. DirtyDog

8. elitenaut

elitenaut Morel Enthusiast

Ok first of all, Jamie is retarded. Second of all, if you have any science based major, its explicitly stated science is never "fact". Its research that has been gathered and affirmed by other studies. Many times people try to recreate results and it fails. In many studies/research it succeeds. Science is NEVER fact. 100 years ago they were doing lobotomies and it was accepted by "science". Thirdly, I pick mushrooms in many similar places each year, this year in Missouri has taught me that the leaf litter is important because of the dry season of the last two weeks. But you know where I've been finding mine? In the forest, surrounded by thousands of roots. They live off the roots. Who really knows what roots the morels are living off of? Back to the whole fact thing... If morels were understood to the point of "fact" we would have morel farms. There are not any farms because there are so many factors that go into the when and where they are gonna grow its not easily predictable. One thing here is for sure though, Jamie is the guy who nobody wants to go hunting with. FACT.

DirtyDog likes this.
  9. DirtyDog

Exactly. When I was in high school we were taught the FACT that there were only 9 planets. Probably a flat earther.
    In Georgia the morels grow best around privet bushes, not trees. In Texas juniper is a go to. Jamie also claims to have not attacked me personally he just wanted to make sure I know he is right. Jamie is the classic key board hero. Making statements like " I have been hunting for longer than you are old, " if you could pick 1-10th of the morels I do". He also appears from his comments to be a mushroom seller, to which my signature on my comments explains that situation, and he has proven me correct.

T tom likes this.
  10. P.C. Finder

P.C. Finder Young Morel

I just enjoy being out, enjoying the woods, and finding mushrooms. Also love to hunt and fish and the trash talking here probably isn't necessary. (Get your shit done and enjoy the outdoors). Platte County,Mo is producing, found a little over 20 shrooms weighing in at a little over 16oz.

11. jamie

jamie Morel Connoisseur

The only fact is I have said all along that you can pick morels around and under cedars and pines. I even explained why they are there. You clowns clearly have heard exactly what you want to hear when you read something. Not one of you have posted anything that shows or says that the Pine tree family including cedars can produce morels. All I have done is stated what the entire world of science has proven. FACT Opinions are like assholes and a few of you have clearly shown that. Be a man and put money where your mouth is and take my bet and prove me and the entire science world wrong....or go follow DD and let him(her as registered here) tell you how morels have no roots or how tan sand warms faster than black dirt...about forgot, the great kb you spoke of, he bought my buddys morels and then wanted his money back because he found some others. Sounds like you guys should get along well. The bet stands. Keep on clickin cause I`m a pickin. Yep, even under cedars.

12. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

got bored in January and looked back on this old argument. A few things if anyone reads it. One, I must have been real bored. Two, Jamie does not know me. I have bought morels once in my life, and those were mountain blacks from a friend who picked them in Mont. and I helped sell them for him around the 4th of July one time. I got them for my brother to see how he liked them. I will sell you some though Jamie when your prices come up. Three, this argument will just go around in circles. Jamie has no proof they don't grow on conifers either. Easy to bet when neither side can prove otherwise. All opinions. Like the dude in Michigan stated, they sure love conifers up there. Four, they grow anywhere it seems, just more likely in some places. I will go with the limestone though regardless of the ground cover. Fifth, DD is a great dude, never met in person but many talks on the phone. 7th, Hope springs eternal for a great year, this being the beginning of 2020.

1 person likes this.
  13. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Still bored. Watched the videos of them growing morels in China. Interesting. Still can't do it consistent enough to fill the market yet, but who knows what the future holds. Wonder if they taste the same fresh? I guess its hard to ship fresh ones from China in a cost productive manner? Anything that does not biodegrade quickly can and will be shipped from China though. I guess their limestone plateau regions turn out large quantities of wild morels that end up going to Europe. Just read a book on black market truffles from China that are fake and are sold in Europe as true black truffles from S. Europe in restaurants. Money and greed know no limits.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mushroom Geologist

Mushroom Geologist Morel Connoisseur

Morels do grow under conifers. I have a large stand of cedars and no hard woods around. That area grows morels and they only pop up late in season. Not sure why.

15. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

the later growing of morels in the cedar most think is due to the cooler ground temps. from the denser shade. I know in some spots where I picked in cedar the sun never gets through so it was like permanent twilight. But who really knows. In the same spots I found fresh morels around cedars all alone in the middle of a field. It seems they like the really wet years also in the cedar, but that could apply to morels everywhere i guess. Where are you located MG?