Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

help please

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  hunter76 
#1 ·
I need help this is my second year looking since I was a kid. I have walked and walked for the last three weeks and came up empty handed. Today I spent 6 hrs at Mammoth Cave park on all south side hills, it was a lot rockier than I'm used to. I would love to find someone to help me with the trees and the areas to look. I'm willing to drive and be blind folded if need be. If I can't find any I guess ill be looking to buy some. Thanks.

#2 ·
Hunter76, I have found over 225 morels on private land near the Park since 4/5 and several of the patches I have been picking are reaching their peak. I have picked in that part of the state for almost 15 years and learned most that I know about finding morels by trial and error. In that part of the state I now only hunt east and north facing hillsides where the primary trees are hickory, poplar and beech when hunting for blacks and the smaller grays and yellows. Try starting at the base of these hills and slowly work your way up the hill while keeping your eye out for the trees mentioned earlier. When you find a morel, stop to scan the area for more. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.