1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

help with id in St Paul

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by krizzards, May 23, 2014.

1. krizzards

krizzards Young Morel

I just sat down next to a Morel under my apple tree. I've never id'd mushrooms, but think this is a true one by what I read on line. It has a hollow stem and cap, looks like the pictures I've seen and is growing under an apple tree. I set it under glass to get a spore print overnight, but do not see anything, so perhaps I did it wrong. I would love to bring it to someone to feel more confident what it is, but hope to do so before it is kaput s I have never tried a morel before! Anyone in the twin cities area that would help...I'll drive whereever to find out! Anything I can do to encourage more morels to grow in the same spot. I've lived at this house a decade and never had one grow here before.

2. shroomster

shroomster Morel Enthusiast

Are you able to take a pic with your phone?

3. krizzards

krizzards Young Morel

Yes, I have pictures, but don't know how to attach them here.

4. 0101010101

0101010101 Morel Enthusiast

Morels don't have any true look-alikes. If it has a hollow body and the cap is fully attached to the base, and it looks like the pictures of morels people are posting on here, then it's a morel. Morels come in all colors from black to nearly white, and every shade of tan and gray in-between.

The only slightly look-alike mushrooms would be the verpa and gyromitra, but they're different enough to easily distinguish. I believe both of those have solid or cottony-solid insides, whereas morels are completely hollow. You can read about all three at the Mushroom Expert website:

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/morchellaceae.html

5. stcroix rob

stcroix rob Morel Connoisseur

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  6. stcroix rob

[​IMG]

7. stcroix rob

[​IMG]

8. stcroix rob

' 0101010101" is right on with that description/definition.. There are alot of shades to the " Mighty Morel" it"s the master of disguise.

9. elusive1

elusive1 Morel Enthusiast

Started a face book group for Minnesota Morel Mushroom Hunters, Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/501700896597783/members/