1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice! I may hit a couple of spots in Springboro and Miamisburg over the weekend that have produced in the past.
Found six more on one tree today, two big ones and four babies. Left the largest of the big ones(around seven pounds) as it was getting a little old. Montgomery county again.
Plant Flower Polyporales Terrestrial plant Trunk
Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Organism Petal
Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass
Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Fungus
Plant Branch Terrestrial plant Wood Twig
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Trunk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Man, that is funny you say that. I hit a few low spots yesterday that typically produce and there was nothing to be found. The one hit I've had so far was on high ground as you say. What's your thoughts on that?
I was wondering myself. The age of the larger ones seems like they probably started close to a couple weeks back. Area was getting some really intense short rainstorms. I think the low spots might be a little to saturated right now, but the higher trees have right amount of moisture.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Everything I have found so far has been on high ground, nothing on the low ground oaks.
Those are the ones I've been checking. They are right beside a creek, but until yesterday it's been pretty dry around here. The creek was really low last time I checked them, which was Tuesday. There is an oak just up the hill from where the creek runs into a lake, and I've found some really nice ones now and then. If I can get out there tomorrow, I'll check it too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Those are the ones I've been checking. They are right beside a creek, but until yesterday it's been pretty dry around here. The creek was really low last time I checked them, which was Tuesday. There is an oak just up the hill from where the creek runs into a lake, and I've found some really nice ones now and then. If I can get out there tomorrow, I'll check it too.
Good luck man. Post some pics if you score.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back story. Bought our house in 2016. Had to grind down a dead oak stump on the southwest side of the house. Reishi starting coming out of the ground stump 2 years ago then today, I go out to check the one Reishi that was coming up and I"ll be damned but there is a Hen there now too! Anybody ever experience anything like this?
Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass Twig
Plant Natural material Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover
Terrestrial plant Plant Fawn Groundcover Grass

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I find lots of hens on dead oak, but I hear a few people say they have never found them on dead oak. That's a really fresh young one, congrats. I hope you let her grow. Going tomorrow to harvest a couple babies I left monday, if they're still there I will post pics.
Fingers crossed your young ones are still there! I plan to let this one grow out as much as I can.

Separately, you have much luck finding any lion's mane in SW Ohio? I've only found one small dried up one and that was 3 years ago.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I find chickens on dead oaks, but never hens. Of course, I only have one spot for hens, and everything in there is alive. Also, never found hens on anything but red oaks. Where I find my hens, just on the other side of the path, there are two absolute ginormous, old white oaks! I check them every time I'm down there. These trees are seriously huge, and I never have found anything near them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fingers crossed your young ones are still there! I plan to let this one grow out as much as I can.

Separately, you have much luck finding any lion's mane in SW Ohio? I've only found one small dried up one and that was 3 years ago.
They were still there, plus a third I did not see before. Left them again as they were only doubled in one week. Gonna go back thursday or Friday and check again.

Went out and checked Saturday, they had doubled in size but not big enough for me yet, also found a third one I didn't see before. Going back Thur or Fri
Plant Botany Flower Terrestrial plant Grass
Organism Wood Twig Terrestrial plant Trunk
Terrestrial plant Wood Natural landscape Trunk Mushroom

1 - 20 of 24 Posts