Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone seeing signs of Hens coming up yet?
My mom has some of these growing in her yard I was wondering if you could tell me if I send a picture if that's really what these are so I know what I can do with them I am a very very big mushroom lover like I can eat them with anything and I love all different kinds so I was hoping maybe you could tell me

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If they're growing out of the soil, they are not Hens. Hens grow on wood, and sometimes wood that is below the level of the soil can put up a Hen. Heck yeah, post some pics. Try to get some shots of the underside as well, even if you have to pick some. That will help.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you just found them recently they are more than likely not hen of the woods its still to early in your area for them i should be finding them here in Minnesota long before you start to see them there its kinda the reverse of morel season they start popping in the north and progress south

·
Registered
134 Posts
Cauliflower mushrooms>Sparassis Crispa(spelling probably incorrect) comes up now and looks like Grifola Frondosa>Hen of the Woods.

Although I will say Ive found mostly dried up chanterelles the same time as some hens in oak heavy stands in September.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts