Hens in St.Louis area!!! YAAAAY

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by lgb, Oct 5, 2014.

1. lgb

lgb Morel Enthusiast

I went to Pere Marquette State Park. Its a great place to find hens. So if you live in the area go out and look. There are alot of hens not yet ready to pick. I left several behind including the big white pair you see next to each other in my pictures.

2. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

Can anyone tell me if this is a lion's mane or if its even [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  3. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

This is what I found today hens chickens chants oysters and maybe lion's mane[​IMG]

4. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

[​IMG]

5. lgb

lgb Morel Enthusiast

Yes it is a lions mane. Hericium Erinaceus in my opinion is what you have. I like to slice them about 3/8" thick and bread them with 50:50 Andy's red and flour. I fried mine up a long with the hens, chickens and white bass...mmmm!!! Very nice haul jmerx!!!

6. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

thanks LGB not too bad yourself .the reason why I question the lion's mane is because the little hairs are shorter than I'm used to seeing.

7. lgb

lgb Morel Enthusiast

I know from what I have read at mushroomexpert.com that the young specimens will have short spines when still immature. One thing I do know for sure is they are delicious! Lol :p

8. lgb

lgb Morel Enthusiast

I will down by Ironton Mo. This weekend. I sure hope my trees I marked year before last produce this year. Last year not a single tree produced anything. I was extremely puzzled. I checked all the way up to the freeze.

9. clwstl

clwstl Morel Enthusiast

Went out to Saturday 10/4/14 to an area where I've found fairly large dried-out last year's hens in the past. Large,old oaks. I found one good sized hen and white-pored chicken mushroom--it didnt form leaves or shelves, was very "knobby". It was coming right out of the ground, must be a big root.

Please post if you find hens in St. Louis, I have some trees to check/recheck if people think they're still coming up.

Thanks,

CLW

10. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

hens just started in this area found some the last two weeks.

11. lgb

lgb Morel Enthusiast

I found at least 5 that I left behind in Pere Marquette state park that were not mature enough to harvest on Sat. I hope its not too late down by Ironton/Farmington area.

12. lgb

lgb Morel Enthusiast

@jmerx are you hunting in Stl area? I live on outskirts of Granite City IL and have never found any lobster mushrooms. I was looking at your pics in your album and looks like you have a mess of lobsters. I don't have any private land I just hunt parks and....shhhhh preserves in this area. I do have land on Lake Hanna property I hunt. I can also hunt land in Pochahantas I'll which is private property but seldom do.

13. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

LGB I actually live in DeSoto and only hunt Parks myself mostly but I travel to find parks with moisture.South Missouri wear I found them past me about a half hour

14. turick

turick Morel Enthusiast

Found my first hen in St. Charles county! I'm guessing it's about 20 lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. lgb

lgb Morel Enthusiast

That's a biggie!!! 8-O nice one!

16. clwstl

clwstl Morel Enthusiast

That's quite a large one, good job!

17. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

This is all i found one dried up softball size[​IMG]

18. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

not sure what happened keeps putting up wrong [​IMG]

19. turick

turick Morel Enthusiast

Hey guys... quick discussion on preserving these things. I grew up with my dad picking 100+ pounds of hens per year and giving them away to friends an family. We would soak them in water to kill all the bugs and loosen all of the dirt, then clean them, then put them in freezer zip lock baggies filled with water. They would freeze into huge blocks of ice in the baggies. I've pulled them out years later, ran hot water over them to thaw the ice as quickly as possible (thawing the ice slowly would ruin them) and they were as good as new.

I have searched everywhere, and I have never, ever heard anybody say this. The big thing seems to be dehydration and to avoid moisture.

Has anybody else done this or heard of this? My dad has severe dementia so it's impossible for me to ask him how he came up with this, but as of right now, I'm about to freeze all of my hen in ziplock baggies.