Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
I just took a new job and will be in Beaumont frequently. Never been there, but in looking at Google earth it looks like I could be close to some morel hunting grounds? It looks like it's starting out there. How long and when is season?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Today’s finds - about 35 today. Sorry I missed the past couple days. Averaging around 10 a day. View attachment 31440
Nice and Fresh!
PARSHOOTER- No. Found them in a buddy's front yard.
Back at it again Mike! Hope all is well with you. I'm itching to hit the hills. Have you experienced any road closures from Covid in your usual spots? Also, I've heard there is still lots of snow past 5,000. I was up at 7,000 here in Southern California, found 2 very young ones in my spot, the snow had just melted off about a week prior so I think the soil temps were still too cold. Have you gone checked in on the higher elevations yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice and Fresh!

Back at it again Mike! Hope all is well with you. I'm itching to hit the hills. Have you experienced any road closures from Covid in your usual spots? Also, I've heard there is still lots of snow past 5,000. I was up at 7,000 here in Southern California, found 2 very young ones in my spot, the snow had just melted off about a week prior so I think the soil temps were still too cold. Have you gone checked in on the higher elevations yet?
Hi Nagaviper, Yes. 99.9% of my spots are closed this year. I know they are popping at 5k' +/- but I just cant get to them. The worst part of it is that I also can't work. Lost some 15k in contracts for the same reason. So far! Its going to get much worse before it gets better I'm afraid but, we will see what Newsome does this week... Happy Hunting to those that can!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just FYI. The Stanislaus National Forest is actively issuing $1,000.00 tickets to those who venture into the closure areas. For any reason.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks
Hi Nagaviper, Yes. 99.9% of my spots are closed this year. I know they are popping at 5k' +/- but I just cant get to them. The worst part of it is that I also can't work. Lost some 15k in contracts for the same reason. So far! Its going to get much worse before it gets better I'm afraid but, we will see what Newsome does this week... Happy Hunting to those that can!
Thanks for the update Mike!!! Im sorry to hear about your work. That is really unfortunate!!! It has slowed my landscape business down substantially too. I just saw on the stanislaus forest website last Friday they opened up a good portion of the roads. We are heading up the 108 this weekend to check it out. Looks like they still have the wilderness areas and higher elevations closed, hopefully our spots are open. We will see. Ill report back towards the end of the weekend.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Any update on the Delta Fire area? Thinking of going there this week. Thanks
We're getting a good rain up here in the Delta Fire area today; they are expecting more tomorrow. I was up there on 4/22 and they were just starting to pop at 1500. I've been concentrating on eastern Shasta County areas for a week or so and have been getting them at the 4000-5000 elevation but this cool front may slow them down at the 5000 level. They were just starting there as the ground was still fairly cool. I'm gonna try to hit the Delta Fire up in the Slate Mtn. area at about 3-4000 ft.
5-7-2020.jpg
and I'll post to you soon as I return. Happy Shroomin'...
PS...that's a puffball I ran over with my truck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
We're getting a good rain up here in the Delta Fire area today; they are expecting more tomorrow. I was up there on 4/22 and they were just starting to pop at 1500. I've been concentrating on eastern Shasta County areas for a week or so and have been getting them at the 4000-5000 elevation but this cool front may slow them down at the 5000 level. They were just starting there as the ground was still fairly cool. I'm gonna try to hit the Delta Fire up in the Slate Mtn. area at about 3-4000 ft. View attachment 33634 and I'll post to you soon as I return. Happy Shroomin'...
PS...that's a puffball I ran over with my truck!
Looks good! Is the puffball edible? Never tried 'em.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I noticed RT. 108 at Stanislaus is closed until end of May. Anyone been to the large burn area east of Dardanelle yet?

BTW - young puffballs are delicious!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Looks good! Is the puffball edible? Never tried 'em.
They are very good! I like to scramble them with sausage and eggs in the morning. You have to get them when fresh; if there is any yellowish color starting inside, don't bother eating them. That yellowish part turns to the spore dust that they spew out later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed RT. 108 at Stanislaus is closed until end of May. Anyone been to the large burn area east of Dardanelle yet?

BTW - young puffballs are delicious!
I've been eyeballing the Donnell Fire near Dardenelle for several weeks but it has been cold up there, snow on multiple days over the last two weeks and daily temps not much about 60f. Highway 108 over Sonora Pass just re-opened on 5/15 FYI.

I had some luck in this burn a year ago in early June 2019 when randomly stopping while driving over Sonora Pass. It may be ready, but it feels like it hasn't been warm enough yet... If you head up there, let me know how it looks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts