Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to introduce myself to the group. I'm a relatively new forager, but thanks to some friends I had a great first year in 2018. Massive quantities of Black Trumpets, Chicken, and Hen were gathered. Still learning, and having fun. Who needs an excuse to explore the woods anyhow?

I'll share some photo's once I've "graduated" to that privilege.

- Cheers Folks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also new to Connecticut, originally from Michigan where morels Grow by the Bushel when you find the right areas. Still looking here for the Right area. Also will be hunting other varieties when i get a new mushroom guide for RI and Ct.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
originally from Michigan where morels Grow by the Bushel...
I doubt we will find them in CT like back in Michigan, but we can try! Lately I’ve been considering the problem of the Emerald Ash Borer and it’s influence on the Morels in New England. Will it killing the Ash cause flushes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I doubt we will find them in CT like back in Michigan, but we can try! Lately I’ve been considering the problem of the Emerald Ash Borer and it’s influence on the Morels in New England. Will it killing the Ash cause flushes?
Dont know much about Trees or beetles, but sure can find Morels if they are out there. will be looking some time in April/May, Lot's of Hills in Ct., You would Think They are growing Somewhere. maybe people Here don't have The desire For Them as to hunt them down

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey guys. Welcome to the Ct site. Morels are definitely here. Ash trees are my biggest producers but that darn beetle is destroying
Welcome to both of you. Morels are definitely here! As rj has found out there are plenty of other great shrooms too. The morels usually start appearing in late April/early May. As for amounts like in Michigan...I wish. You are right about that Stanley. Not saying you can't find them though. Ash. Dying Elms. Apples. Poplars. The usual suspects.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey guys. Welcome to the Ct site. Morels are definitely here. Ash trees are my biggest producers but that darn beetle is destroying

Welcome to both of you. Morels are definitely here! As rj has found out there are plenty of other great shrooms too. The morels usually start appearing in late April/early May. As for amounts like in Michigan...I wish. You are right about that Stanley. Not saying you can't find them though. Ash. Dying Elms. Apples. Poplars. The usual suspects.
Sorry about my 1st post just now. I guess I hit send?! Damn technology. Haha.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thanks for the Info and Encouragement. I am as far south in Ct as one could be, right Near the Thames river in Groton. I wreckon i will have to go North a bit to find any shrooms.Morels that is

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dont know much about Trees or beetles, but sure can find Morels if they are out there. will be looking some time in April/May, Lot's of Hills in Ct., You would Think They are growing Somewhere. maybe people Here don't have The desire For Them as to hunt them down
Thanks for the Info and Encouragement. I am as far south in Ct as one could be, right Near the Thames river in Groton. I wreckon i will have to go North a bit to find any shrooms.Morels that is
I know right where you are! I have read of morels by the coast and a little higher. I personally know someone that finds them in lower Ct. I really don't have any experience myself though. I have travelled to Southern NY early season...skunk city. More than once. I live more Northerly so I hunt upper Ct. and NY. NY is incredible. They have amounts!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds Good, I will be checking out this area next month and other areas North of here. It could be like the wild Red Rasberry's I picked right here at Bluff Point last summer. Picked over 7 Gallons in a month. Sure was a Blessing to Freeze them and we are still eating them. have about 2 gallons left. maybe the Morels will turn out the same way

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds Good, I will be checking out this area next month and other areas North of here. It could be like the wild Red Rasberry's I picked right here at Bluff Point last summer. Picked over 7 Gallons in a month. Sure was a Blessing to Freeze them and we are still eating them. have about 2 gallons left. maybe the Morels will turn out the same way
Bluff Point is an awesome area. Good for you on the raspberries! Like you, I know the rules...you can't find em if you're not in the woods! I hope you hit a mother lode. Cross our fingers for a good year. Stupid Spring sure is taking its time....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I for some reason thought that morels did not grow in New England. With your encouragement I will give it a try this year. Originally from Ohio and miss the morel hunt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you. Curious if anyone has found any yet this year? The season is just starting in Ohio. We are about the same latitude with slightly moderated temperature. I am thinking another week or so for CT.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well I for some reason thought that morels did not grow in New England. With your encouragement I will give it a try this year. Originally from Ohio and miss the morel hunt.
Hey Brent. Welcome to the forum. Morels can be found in Ct. This could be a good year! Plenty of moisture. Temps are perfect. Get out there soon. I am going to start snooping around this week. If I see anything....I will let this Ct. page know. Mind you though, blacks may be up already! Good luck. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thank you. Curious if anyone has found any yet this year? The season is just starting in Ohio. We are about the same latitude with slightly moderated temperature. I am thinking another week or so for CT.
I am thinking you are right! No lilac blooms yet. Leaves on the trees are not fully out yet. I just can't help myself though. I will tip toe around a little this week.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts