Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Job swamped again.So took a hike and filled two bags.One with chants and the other boletes.Mostly kings but a few pines and 2 nice bicolor.Not sure on the weight but big pile.Was only out less than an hour and a half and didn't cover much territory.Couldn't even count the ones past,soggy or buggy.Never seen it like this.I'm really worried about the gardens with this rainy weather but this amount of shrooms lifts my spirits!Was thinkin' about going back out with a wheelbarrow but need to process some of these before getting greedy.Hate to waste.Will be out more this week but know what's dinner!HAPPY HUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Great report! Been too bushed from work to get out but glad to hear your scoring! Hope Fog is having success also.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Found another good bunch of chant buttons this afternoon. What type of trees did you find your kings under Lynk ? And Geo hope you find time to get out there.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fog,was so thrilled that I wasn't paying attention to individuals(shame on me!) but this area has plenty of large beech,oak and hemlock.Geo,don't get burned out.Take care!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out after work and another nice haul.Fewer chants(maybe a pound).But a sackful of assorted boletes(kings,pines,bicolor,yellow scaber and speckle stems)plus some hedgehogs.There were a bunch of kings past prime,bug ridden or rodent gnawed that I wish I could've gotten to first.HappyHunting!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel like I'm hoggin' the air time but another decent haul today including two paper lunch bags filled to the brim with black trumpets!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Black trumpets I have yet to find those...it sounds like you are having a wonderful time out there. glad to see someone is having luck.I would love to find some it would be one of those ahhhhhhhhhhh kind of moments .what trees were they under Lynk ?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fog,not so much trees but ''washout'' areas.Places that don't always see runoff water but do during really heavy rains where you can see water ran and then slowed by debris or spread out by a change in grade.Look just below these areas.These are usually on an easy pitched grade just before the hill falls off steeply.I like to climb up or along the side of a hill's ''shoulder'' so you spot them closer to eye level and it's easier to see the tiny ones that make you stop and scan about.I've done the wander about and look down thing.Not for me.I think once you get the feel for right places,you can better focus you're search.Long winded but I hope this helps.Good luck and Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked on a job this morning and spotted a few black trumpets along the cottage road.I asked the homeowners if they minded me picking them after our meeting and they said ''help yourself''.Didn't have my shroom gear,but had a stack of paper grocery bags in the back seat.Picked three bags two thirds full.Had to dig out the scales for this one.Eight and a quarter pounds!Never seen 'em like this and only picked maybe half.Spread them on newspapers on diningroom table and it looks like three inches of black mulch but smells way better!!Borrowed another dehydrator and getting to work.This is the year so far!!Hope to hear good news from everyone.Happy "Fourth" and Happy Hunting!!!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys!I'm so tired from cleaning and processing these things.Still have a little less than half to go.Almost as tedious as having four two-year olds helping you sort out a 5000 piece socket set.Almost!Smells like heaven in this house. Fog,if you've never found these and had a secure address to give,I'd be glad to send you some dried ones. Geo,same for you but I know your shroomin' skills. Finishing my second cup and back at it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fog,I guess I was hoping maybe you had a PO box or something so you didn't have to give your address online.I can try to email you but I'm the poster boy for tech challenged.I'll give it a shot.Daughter visiting tomorrow,maybe she can help.In the meantime get all the shrooms you can.It could dry up in no time.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was hoping to hear from a bunch of you but nobody's posting.Shrooms everywhere so maybe the news isn't as exciting.Finding trumpets all over even in places I've hunted for years and never found any.Chants are getting big and the bugs are getting into some but plenty to go around.The garden is showing signs of not liking the rain but can fill two sacks with mushrooms in an hour's time.Take care and Happy Hunting!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lynk, I had a niice haul of black trumpets and saw a good number of boletes, but the boletes were a bit old. Also, check out my recent post to help me solve a mystery of the woods...!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Pics to come tomorrow, I saw a few chants on the side of the road near one of my spots a few days ago. I have been busy picking blueberries I bought a rake and have picked 12 gallons of them. Time for some creamy chanterelle pasta.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I found a few but there seems to be a lot less around me this year, they were in all the same spots as last year but less than a quarter of what there was last year. Also didn't help that someone beat me to one of my best spots. Most were still to small to pick also.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts