Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught some flack for my previous post regarding how the hot weather experienced over the entire Midwest around Easter had put an end to the season in most areas before it had even began. Just when there was hope there may be a season here came a freeze and it was a substantial one. Freezes always screw up a season. Turns out I was right on everything North of hiway 36 including most of Iowa and Nebraska. I was surprised to see the huge numbers found in a 50 mile radius of Topeka 2 weeks later and was in hopes everyone would share in the fortune. It was a one shot bloom with nothing found after this flush. The Neb page on this site has not had a post for over 2 weeks and its the prime of the season. MO and IA still hoping and that is about all-hoping. If lucky you may find enough for a mess to eat. MN and MI are picking more Morels than IA,MO,and NE combined. Very unusual to say the least.

There is one small area, again around 50 miles square that did not get the extreme hot weather on Easter that about everyone else did. What is most amazing about this small area is they have gotten one tenth of an inch of moisture in the last 3 weeks. In most years this wouldnt be enough moisture to even produce Morels. Everyone including myself know how Morels love and need moisture. Well, like every other thing I have ever learned or watch that has to do with Morels, this has bucked the trend and shows that Morels can grow with little to no new moisture. I guess the leaves and ground cover act as a mulch to retain what ground moisture there is because..................I personally have bought over 800 pounds from this little 50 mile area in the last week and over 1200 pounds total. The regular pickers always have 50 lbs each a day and even new pickers are finding 20 lbs daily. All the land surrounding this small 50 mile area had hardly a season and did I mention they have had no rain. It is truly amazing to think this one small area can supply the Farmers Markets in KC, Omaha, Des Moines and Minneapolis not to mention big Farmers Markets in NY, CN, PA and DE. that usually takes the entire Midwest to supply. And best yet the Morels are the perfect 2-3 inch size with no or a very few large yellows. I cant imagine what the pounds will be when the last bloom flushes. As always I do not share locations for obvious reasons. I heard of where someone posted they found a bunch of Morels by this small town in NE on Sat and on Sun there were so many cars parked on the country roads hunting you couldnt get down the roads. The farmers were furious and the law was called. True Morel hunters will have no problem knowing where this spot is as the data they review will show it. Stumblers on the other hand will uselessly troll the boards and never have a clue. Lesson learned here is Morels thrive with moisture but can also more than thrive without it. Temperatures are the clue. Different than what I have thought for the last 40 years. Congrats to those whom have the true Honey Hole. Do not let dry conditions keep you from picking Morels.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I caught some flack for my previous post regarding how the hot weather experienced over the entire Midwest around Easter had put an end to the season in most areas before it had even began. Just when there was hope there may be a season here came a freeze and it was a substantial one. Freezes always screw up a season. Turns out I was right on everything North of hiway 36 including most of Iowa and Nebraska. I was surprised to see the huge numbers found in a 50 mile radius of Topeka 2 weeks later and was in hopes everyone would share in the fortune. It was a one shot bloom with nothing found after this flush. The Neb page on this site has not had a post for over 2 weeks and its the prime of the season. MO and IA still hoping and that is about all-hoping. If lucky you may find enough for a mess to eat. MN and MI are picking more Morels than IA,MO,and NE combined. Very unusual to say the least.

There is one small area, again around 50 miles square that did not get the extreme hot weather on Easter that about everyone else did. What is most amazing about this small area is they have gotten one tenth of an inch of moisture in the last 3 weeks. In most years this wouldnt be enough moisture to even produce Morels. Everyone including myself know how Morels love and need moisture. Well, like every other thing I have ever learned or watch that has to do with Morels, this has bucked the trend and shows that Morels can grow with little to no new moisture. I guess the leaves and ground cover act as a mulch to retain what ground moisture there is because..................I personally have bought over 800 pounds from this little 50 mile area in the last week and over 1200 pounds total. The regular pickers always have 50 lbs each a day and even new pickers are finding 20 lbs daily. All the land surrounding this small 50 mile area had hardly a season and did I mention they have had no rain. It is truly amazing to think this one small area can supply the Farmers Markets in KC, Omaha, Des Moines and Minneapolis not to mention big Farmers Markets in NY, CN, PA and DE. that usually takes the entire Midwest to supply. And best yet the Morels are the perfect 2-3 inch size with no or a very few large yellows. I cant imagine what the pounds will be when the last bloom flushes. As always I do not share locations for obvious reasons. I heard of where someone posted they found a bunch of Morels by this small town in NE on Sat and on Sun there were so many cars parked on the country roads hunting you couldnt get down the roads. The farmers were furious and the law was called. True Morel hunters will have no problem knowing where this spot is as the data they review will show it. Stumblers on the other hand will uselessly troll the boards and never have a clue. Lesson learned here is Morels thrive with moisture but can also more than thrive without it. Temperatures are the clue. Different than what I have thought for the last 40 years. Congrats to those whom have the true Honey Hole. Do not let dry conditions keep you from picking Morels.
How can this magic spot have any repeat blooms unless it has skipped the other 80 plus degree days we have had since the ones around Easter? It was a tough year for rookies in a large part of the midwest. I still prefer wet over dry but you are correct in the fact that blooms happen with little to no precipitation sometimes. Somebody always need to go look, just in case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Shroombuyer Paul,
My Dad LeRoy Paden had the first and only website on the internet (NMMHA) NATIONAL MOREL MUSHROOM HUNTING ASSOC in the early 1980's that was dedicated to teaching people how to hunt morels. You and Chris Matherly tagged his site back then so you could steal customer info and buy morels from them. KB is a dedicated hunter that would never lie about his finds and your BS aimed at him is ridiculous. You haver never found 10 lbs in a year by yourself but only bought and resold them. KB is as honest as the day is long and always tries to help other people find shrooms. My name is Rodney Paden and i personally know several people who found and/or bought 100's of pounds of morels from Oklahoma this spring and you can come by my house anytime and check me out. 785-741-0909 1518 120th st Horton Ks. and if i get banned from this site for telling the truth so be it. I don't post very often but a##holes like you need to be called out. Just respond to my cell phone if I am wrong.

·
Registered
145 Posts

The combination of early heat and dry ground brought on the early flush. Dry ground warms fast. Normally we can withstand a few hot days early because the moisture keeps the ground cool. Then the freeze shut them off for a few days and there was one more final flush.
Disappointing but not unexpected in a dry year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts