Hunting North New Jersey

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by Milikin, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Milikin

Milikin Morel Enthusiast

What time of year should you start looking for Morels in Northern NJ, like Passaic County or Suffern NJ. I looking around Norvin Green, Harriman or Sterling Forest ?

2. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

Soon. Lots of indicator species are showing.
    I’ve checked some while out picking fiddleheads, in fact even today I looked but have found none yet nor do I know anyone who has and others have looked as well
    I’m in Sussex county.

3. Milikin

Milikin Morel Enthusiast

yes I've noticed the Fiddleheads piping up all over besides all the skunk cabbage hopping the ground is warm enough.

4. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

1F34FEAE-1216-47DB-99B9-D522C67CE33B.jpeg My buddy just found a few in town today.

Inthewild likes this.
  5. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

46284709-AF6F-4342-AAFC-73014B231F71.jpeg Good day so far. He’s bringing em to me and my morning went well too.
    A double beard

6. Milikin

Milikin Morel Enthusiast

7. Milikin

Milikin Morel Enthusiast

What county ? We had frost this morning Passiac county.

8. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

Sussex, at the base of high point. Was 31 degrees this morn

9. Milikin

Milikin Morel Enthusiast

I spent the day looking around Norvin Green forest today no luck yet. My Mycological Club has reported some in Morris county ,Sussex county and Bergen county. None showing up in this area as of yet still a little cold.

10. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

C59E26D1-9757-4A39-9A1C-948E8D9DF836.jpeg Looked again today. Didn’t find any true morels but found a couple of these about 300 yards from my house

Milikin likes this.
  11. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

We’ve been finding em pretty reg now and I’m in Sussex

12. Milikin

Milikin Morel Enthusiast

nice.

13. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I have news for you. That is a true morel! It is Morchella semilibera. Colloquially called a "half free" morel or "dog pecker". There are false morels that look a lot like half frees, and are in the genus Verpa. The pic you posted is perfect. Half frees are completely hollow, just like all true morels. Verpas have a white, cottony substance in the stem. Plus the cap attachment is entirely different.

14. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

I know what it is. I ate em but thank you

15. shroomsearcher

Okay. Your post confused me. You wrote, "Didn't find any true morels". The half free IS a true morel!

16. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

Oh I gotcha I missed that. I do know it’s actually a true morel. Just not the exact morel I was looking for hence the way I wrote that.
    Thanks again though

17. shroomsearcher

Cool. The only reason I got so "enthusiastic" about my reply was that, despite the resources available these days, there still seems to be a lot of misinformation out there. Was just perusing another state's board, and there was a guy who found an absolute mother lode of half frees, but was convinced they were no good! Another poster and I got him straightened out on ID, and now he has a feast on his hands. I told him I was jealous as I find almost no half frees here.

I figure that's what these boards are for, to help each other. But, we have no way of knowing the experience level of anyone we are responding to.

Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

Well thanks for being willing to help. That’s a good thing

19. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

57AE8202-C258-44A1-890C-B646CDDB0263.jpeg This one was Morris County today. Beat up but still cool to find one that big.