Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for advice on slope hunting, should the slopes be near water and or near bottom areas where morels were found? How do you avoid all the oak & hickory. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I guess I can answer my own question, I always find more elm, ash , sycamore near water so hills near water makes sense to me.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Well I guess I can answer my own question, I always find more elm, ash , sycamore near water so hills near water makes sense to me.
And the bottom of the hill is where the runoff goes, so more elm, sycamore, and ash on the lower slopes and valley bottoms and more oak in the dryer slopes. Usually,But not always.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you KB for that answer, that will help me a lot . Where there are hills there's valley's and visa versa, I never thought of it that way

·
Registered
831 Posts
And the bottom of the hill is where the runoff goes, so more elm, sycamore, and ash on the lower slopes and valley bottoms and more oak in the dryer slopes. Usually,But not always.
Yep! There's a hardwood ridge where I find chants and chickens. It's the upper, dryer part of the slope, so it's mostly oak, maple, and beech. A park road bisects the ridge just where the gentler slope peters out. Down at the bottom near the creek, there are sycamores galore. But the slope is much steeper there and I'd have to be a mountain goat to hunt it!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yep! There's a hardwood ridge where I find chants and chickens. It's the upper, dryer part of the slope, so it's mostly oak, maple, and beech. A park road bisects the ridge just where the gentler slope peters out. Down at the bottom near the creek, there are sycamores galore. But the slope is much steeper there and I'd have to be a mountain goat to hunt it!
If you want them hill/bluff shrooms you gotta go full Billy goat.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Baaa!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts