1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting Tips for Jefferson county wanted

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by Tia2001, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Tia2001

Tia2001 Morel Enthusiast

Hi I am new to mushroom hunting and I am looking for some tips on places to look in Jefferson County I live in Byrnes Mill I was planning to go look along the Big River but also wondering if anyone here would be willing to go hunting with me to show me some tips and tricks in where to look

2. aadavis422

aadavis422 Morel Enthusiast

where abouts is Jefferson county?

3. Tia2001

Tia2001 Morel Enthusiast

Byrnes mill, off of highway 30

4. Tia2001

Tia2001 Morel Enthusiast

5. timh1983

timh1983 Morel Enthusiast

They are up wow! I usually don't post on here but I must let you all know that they are up in jeffco. This weekend will be fantastic for mushrooms! Get out there.

What's interesting is it's almost too wet now. One of the yellows I found was actually rotting away from too much moisture.

My advice for looking in jeffco: private land or large public areas, look in low lands but not flood plains, look in mossy shady areas in and around tree trunk areas but I've found them in all types of environmental conditions(even in sand once...), and most importantly, be patient! This is a good year so you might find yourself lucky. Best of luck.

Ps I found mine today in a lowland areas near 141 and 30. I attached some pictures.

Attached Files:

FITTYSPENCE and Tia2001 like this.
  6. Tia2001

Tia2001 Morel Enthusiast

Thank you. I was going to go look today but the rain keeps coming and going I'll try to get out this weekend

7. mushroom jake

mushroom jake Morel Enthusiast

Look around elms and maples along the river...especially if they are dying. Sycamores can sometimes produce. Most important just have fun. A bad day of mushroom hunting is better than a good day at work. Lol

2 people like this.
  8. timh1983

9. timh1983

10. timh1983

Day 2. Checked another of my small areas. Looking good! Greys and a few yellows. Can't wait to get to my big honey hole. Should be overloaded with big fat yellows.
    Ps. This other spot of mine is south of bluffs off 141. Can never give up my exact areas. Good luck!

Attached Files:

FITTYSPENCE likes this.
  11. mellowmushiestl

mellowmushiestl Young Morel

Decent first haul. Found these in Southern Jeffco. Mostly in a creek bottom. They're gonna go crazy after this warm weekend!

Attached Files:

FITTYSPENCE likes this.
  12. timh1983

Nice finds!

We're going to try some new woods today. I think this year is perfect to explore new areas because they are really up.

13. Cap'n_Stems

Cap'n_Stems Young Morel

Hi Tia, I'm in the same camp as you. This is my first year looking, I am in the same general area (Fenton / High Ridge) and I am doing it on my own. So far, no luck :(