Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Hunting Tips for Jefferson county wanted

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  beowulf75 
#1 ·
Hi I am new to mushroom hunting and I am looking for some tips on places to look in Jefferson County I live in Byrnes Mill I was planning to go look along the Big River but also wondering if anyone here would be willing to go hunting with me to show me some tips and tricks in where to look

#6 ·
They are up wow! I usually don't post on here but I must let you all know that they are up in jeffco. This weekend will be fantastic for mushrooms! Get out there.

What's interesting is it's almost too wet now. One of the yellows I found was actually rotting away from too much moisture.

My advice for looking in jeffco: private land or large public areas, look in low lands but not flood plains, look in mossy shady areas in and around tree trunk areas but I've found them in all types of environmental conditions(even in sand once...), and most importantly, be patient! This is a good year so you might find yourself lucky. Best of luck.

Ps I found mine today in a lowland areas near 141 and 30. I attached some pictures.

Attachments

#17 ·
Okay, fellow Jefferson Countians...here’s my report for 4/17: Despair not! In our area (I’m about 1/2way between Hillsboro and House Springs), They’re just getting started in the highlands.
I went out this morning and kept about 2 dozen small ones, although 2 were medium sized. They’re very hard to see right now as most are juuuust poking their little wrinkled fungal noses through the leaf litter. You have to be looking at them at a perfect angle to even have a chance.
I must’ve seen 50 itty bitties down in the leaves that I’ll go back for in a few days.
For the novice, this is tough. You can forage now, sure, but I’d wager by this weekend, they’ll have busted through so you can see them better.
I’ve got a sneaking suspicion the morels are going to be thick very soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.