Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in South Carolina and found 12 morels 2 days ago, and about 60 more yesterday. All around ash trees! So excited. Some looked to be a couple days old too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Janie,
I can totally relate to your pain. I went through a similar experience as you describe last year. I actually had a gentleman SHOW me where to find mushrooms!!! We have since formed a friendship and will be hunting together this year. I still have difficulties believing ANYONE would show ANYONE their hunting spots...
Anyways, I had the same difficulty w/my pictures (the process is a bit unclear in the directions). I used the URL address and got the same photobcket icon as you have. I then switched them to the HTML address and the photos showed up. You can see the picture if you click on it, if you don't want to go back and "fix" it. Good luck on your hunting!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wow! That's amazing punkerguy! What county are you in? Lucky you. My hubby and I found 2 little ones yesterday. Today we are going full throttle all day long. So wish us luck. (And no more poison ivy for me. Yep, I must have touched some even though I was trying to be careful, grrrrr!)

Mrgta, are you in SC also? Thanks for the tips on posting pics. I really wanted to post a pic of my hubby holding his first morel yesterday, (he looks happier than when he gets a turkey, lol!) but now my darn photobucket is acting up. Good grief, the problems I do have!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sad no more!!!!! Found a honey hole this morning. Picked 48 in 10 minutes! In a creek bottom, but no indicator trees nearby. Just a bunch of sweet gums, but within 10 - 20 ft of the creek. Lawd a mercy!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Punkerguy182... I was just down in Abbeville County yesterday! Found a couple pounds myself. Love that area! Do you hunt private land?

I live in Clayton Ga and my best spots haven't even started yet!

·
Registered
7 Posts
cosmiccharlie...Wow! A couple lbs is great! I looked on state land a couple days ago with no luck. These ones I've found are on my property of 30 acres. Really hoping to find a honey hole though:) Were you on state or private?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Haha! Well now I got the pics to work, but I did it twice, lol anyway, that is my hubby holding his first morel yesterday. Punkerguy, we are in Lauren's county.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Cosmic Charlie, several POUNDS? Wow, that's amazing. What size are they? I know I should maybe wait a day or two before picking them, but I noticed that some felt like they were drying out, and I felt like I should go ahead and pick them. Also, I'm afraid that maybe the turkeys are either eating them, or just scratching around the target trees so much that they are destroying what morels might be there. We have noticed that in the places where we have just found single morels that there is a lot of evidence that turkey's have been scratching there. Does anyone know if turkey's eat morels?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Punkerguy, I was on state land. Found a couple new spots along a creek. Looks like the old farmsteads around there have more of the RIGHT type of trees. Also, stumbled upon a nice little pawpaw patch. Excited to be picking some of them in a few months!
Janie, those look like morchella deliciosa variety that you have been finding. They usually dont get real big in size. Tulip trees tend to produce them more than others. I have been finding mostly esculentas (around 3-4 inches in size)around ash trees. I have yet to come across any elms, they are much harder to find then people make em out to be. BTW.. Those shiitakes look great!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Went out today for my first try at finding morels. Was able to find 26, not including old and chewed up specimens that I left for the critters to eat. Found them all near dead elms in a privet patch near a river in Edgefield County. Thanks for your posts. It gave me the motivation to try it. Now I am hooked! Cooked a small one tonight and gobbled it up, yum. If it doesn't kill me, I will eat lots more tomorrow.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks cosmic Charlie for letting me know that the morels I have found are not going to get any larger. Now I don't feel guilty about picking them :)

Shroomrunner, glad you have been inspired, hope you make it till tomorrow! We fried up half of ours tonight along with venison blackstrap wrapped in bacon and grilled, and fresh asparagus. Everything was sooooo delicious!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Haha, just read my post above. I meant to type 'backstrap' but apparently it autocorrected to 'blackstrap'. Oh well. ANYWAY, we went back to the honey hole this morning, and found 12 more! So that was a total of around 60 in that one spot. Now I wonder, were they there yesterday, and we just missed them, or did they pop up overnight?

Saw a kingsnake and it scared me, so now, my excitement is becoming tempered with trepidation. We had morels for supper last nite, and morels for lunch today. I fried these whole, and liked them better than slicing lengthwise. I did soak a while in saltwater, so hopefully all the bugs came out. If not, oh well, guess I ate them!

21 - 40 of 67 Posts