Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Oh, and by the way, ZANFEL works great for poison ivy. It is very very expensive, but better than doctors and prednisone. Been there done that last summer, and I must say, I will NEVER take prednisone again. Horrible stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thats awesome punkerguy! Where exactly did you find those, just so I know where not to look? lol jk! Thats wild.. around pines? I was finding them at the base of trees I didn't even know they could be linked to. I notice that they tend to grow in "hot spots". The trees arent always key, but sometimes it's more about location

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yee haw! Found a new honey hole today! Only harvested about 12, but the rain got me and I had to stop. The rain is good, but now the temp is dropping like crazy. Wond

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yee haw! Found a new honey hole today! Only harvested about 12, but the rain got me and I had to stop. The rain is good, but now the temp is dropping like crazy. Wonder how this will affect the morels? Supposed to get down to around 32*.

New location not far from other honey hole, but right at the base if tulip poplars in sandy soil and very n

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yee haw! Found a new honey hole today! Only harvested about 12, but the rain got me and I had to stop. The rain is good, but now the temp is dropping like crazy. Wonder how this will affect the morels? Supposed to get down to around 32*.

New location not far from other honey hole, but right at the base if tulip poplars in sandy soil and very near the creek.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I survived eating my first morel. Ate some more tonight and convinced my wife to try them. They were great. Hope to find more soon. Does anyone out there find them away from the creeks? Not sure if I should follow the creeks, or if I should try to venture out a little further.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hi shroomrunner, glad you survived, lol. How did your wife like them?

I have found a few maybe 30 yards away from the creek, and some just within feet of the creek. I have also found a very few in high sections of gullys.

Temps here touched down to freezing last nite. I checked ground temp this morning and it was 49*. I'm wondering if this may help extend the season, or may have messed it up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The wife enjoyed the morels, but the kids wouldn't touch them. That's fine . . . more mushrooms for me!

I hope the rain and cool weather mean more shrooms. I will be out hunting for them on Friday.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Punkerguy, I haven't found any since the cold, but I'm going back out to check my private spot this morning, I'll let you know what I find. I hope like crazy that it's not over for us. Let me know if you find anymore too.

I tried to look on public land yesterday afternoon, but was thwarted by a situation. I'm going to create a new post about it, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've hunted all of my life in the MD., VA., WVA area with my Dad, and know many good spots there. He passed last year, so I'm looking for spots closer to home. Unfortunately, here in Myrtle Beach, we don't grow morels, just like we don't grow rocks. I'm glad that everyone is finding some mushrooms, but I had to respond to this "Sad" thread. I've been looking forward to this season all year and even lined up some private property near Chesnee to hunt.
Now that it's spring break from teaching, I have a sinus infection, plus some renters moved out and that property needs repairs. So...I cannot make it this year..
Maybe next year. <---- now that's sad

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to say, but I believe they are bout over for ya'll. Unless you head north and to the mountains. Might still find some, but probably too mature by now. My spots in the foothills are already bout done producing. Heading for the ridges soon!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Just found a bunch more in the last hour. Not done producing here. Some are larger and some are brand new babies. Yay! Under Ash trees and privet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Found about 40 today in Edgefield County. Saw quite a few others that were past their prime. I am guessing that they are about done here. Found some HUGE oyster shrooms (I think). Anyone know if yellow oysters are ok to eat if they are still soft?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Total of 41 today, and we left some to grow a little more, and to show the kiddos and grand kids tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The in-laws are in town, so I didn't get to cook them yesterday. Will probably cook some up tonight. Planning to cook a big batch and try freezing some to enjoy later. I dried some from what I collected last week.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Have had some seriously chilly, rainy, windy, nasty weather the last 2 days. We cooked up about 50 morels last night for the kids and grand kids.

Hubby and I went back out this afternoon and found about 5 more. Some looked quite fresh. I'm wondering if maybe we will find some more in the next few days, or if this is it...

Has anyone else here in SC found anymore this weekend?

41 - 60 of 67 Posts