Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I'm a new member here and novice mushroom hunter. Really novice.haha
After several attempts I've never found a mushroom with the exception of picking at a friends driveway.
Since I've yet to find any I haven't been able to learn from my experiences. I've tried looking in the same area day after day to see if they just weren't there yet. I've tried high and low ground. I've tried to find stems or other sign that they have been either picked or eaten by animals. Still no luck.
I've studied the keys of the trade online. Dead ash and elm. Ground temp needs to be good. Things of that nature.
I'm open to all suggestions, but also have some questions.
When they decide it's time to start sprouting will a day of rain shut them off?
Is it effective to hunt them in the rain? In the dark?
When the ground temp is ready for shrooms does the air temp matter on any given day so long as it doesn't change the ground temp?
I think I heard mornings are a good time to look but mainly because of the light shades on the ground. What is your favorite time of day?
As a life long hunter(animals) there are days I just know are right. And also lessons to be learned from what hasn't worked. But so far I haven't been able to find anything to tell me my day was just unsuccessful or completely looking in dead areas.
Thanks in advance and good luck hunters.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey everybody. I'm a new member here and novice mushroom hunter. Really novice.haha
After several attempts I've never found a mushroom with the exception of picking at a friends driveway.
Since I've yet to find any I haven't been able to learn from my experiences. I've tried looking in the same area day after day to see if they just weren't there yet. I've tried high and low ground. I've tried to find stems or other sign that they have been either picked or eaten by animals. Still no luck.
I've studied the keys of the trade online. Dead ash and elm. Ground temp needs to be good. Things of that nature.
I'm open to all suggestions, but also have some questions.
When they decide it's time to start sprouting will a day of rain shut them off?
Is it effective to hunt them in the rain? In the dark?
When the ground temp is ready for shrooms does the air temp matter on any given day so long as it doesn't change the ground temp?
I think I heard mornings are a good time to look but mainly because of the light shades on the ground. What is your favorite time of day?
As a life long hunter(animals) there are days I just know are right. And also lessons to be learned from what hasn't worked. But so far I haven't been able to find anything to tell me my day was just unsuccessful or completely looking in dead areas.
Thanks in advance and good luck hunters.
Hi Ed, just a few thoughts for you on things that I look for.

-- Dead Elm trees where the bark is slipping but not completely off
--If there are 3 days when the day temps are in the low 70's and nights stay in the 50's GET IN THE WOODS. Ground temps are important but so are air temps.
--Just after a rain is a good time to be in the woods. Long dry spells will slow the progression. I actually prefer to hunt in the rain.
--I would suggest getting really good at identifying 1 type of tree at a time. Trying to learn too much about different tree types all at once can be overwhelming
--Spend your time hunting for trees, not mushrooms. If you find the right types of trees, the mushrooms will follow.

hope this is helpful and good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with Kbart on all points. I especially prefer to hunt in the rain since it keeps most other people out if you’re on public ground. As kbart said, focus on 1 tree type. I think dead elms are the easiest. Emphasis on bark peeling and not completely gone! You can spot them from a distance pretty easily. Drive around and look for upside down witches brooms. That was the hardest part for me when I first started. I had no idea what an elm tree looked like. To be honest, it took me seeing some other guys picking mushrooms under an elm as I was driving by. I went right back there the next day and found some that they missed. After that I was able to identify the bark and the way the tops curl and are leafless and budless. That spot is still one of my best!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the assistance. I think I might go hunting today. At least go for a walk and try to identify trees.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the assistance. I think I might go hunting today. At least go for a walk and try to identify trees.
Look at the ground. Thats my advice. I have found over 50 so far in Northern IN. Just peckerheads so far but Im finding them. They grow in every situation imaginable so dont step on them while you are looking at trees. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts