Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sure look like chickens. However, a couple of cautions. The outer 2 inches or so is the best part. The inner part can be tough. Also, if you decide to cook and eat some, do only a little bit at first. This is first to make sure that they are chickens. Second, some people have a bad GI reaction to polypore mushrooms. Here's a vid I like to post offering some advice about them, and a cooking method.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K8HuTHTyP8

This is one of the few ID's I feel comfortable making just from a pic. They are morels, chanterelles, chickens, and hens. Those are sort of the "Fab Four" of the wild mushrooms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure look like chickens. However, a couple of cautions. The outer 2 inches or so is the best part. The inner part can be tough. Also, if you decide to cook and eat some, do only a little bit at first. This is first to make sure that they are chickens. Second, some people have a bad GI reaction to polypore mushrooms. Here's a vid I like to post offering some advice about them, and a cooking method.

This is one of the few ID's I feel comfortable making just from a pic. They are morels, chanterelles, chickens, and hens. Those are sort of the "Fab Four" of the wild mushrooms.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Great video, my 4 year old thought so as well :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts