Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to start a 2022 season thread for those of us here in Idaho. Lord willing, gonna be out hunting starting this weekend, and then again every weekend until the end of the season. Let's post our finds and inspire others to get outside and enjoy the hunt! To get us all excited, here's a lovely black I found last year. Don't ask me where, I can't seem to remember...

Insect Grass Terrestrial animal Arthropod Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
467 Posts
Very cool, thanks! I certainly wish I had your experience but I definitely love to hike so I anticipate learning and discovering lots more in the years to come. Appreciate your response!
Oh yeah. We have grays, blacks and blondes. I have been hunting since 1980, so I have seen the highs and lows. Moisture is the key and lots of hiking also helps.
Hope there are others in Idaho jump on the board. Not a lot of chatter on here, but your enthusiasm may bring some folks into the mix. Goodluck out there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am planning to be out there tomorrow also, and am also not excited about the colder weather coming in. But I know that the higher elevations have yet to pop so while the freezing temps may affect the lower elevations, the higher elevations should still hold promise. Good luck to you tomorrow, hope to hear a report of some finds!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Was hiking at approx. 4,000-4,500 ft. today, I was hoping after that warm stretch we had the soil on south facing slopes might be warm enough. And should any have popped, I wanted to rescue them before the nasty lows headed our way. Alas, no such luck! Found a number of bright orange gyromitra, that's about it. The ground was still nearly frozen in many spots. Will check again in another two weeks or so. All things as they were, I was thankful that they hadn't popped, only to be frozen solid in a few days.

@Calipya

Any luck today?

·
Registered
10 Posts
We had quite the ice storm on the Palouse on Saturday. It was awful. But the BIG WARM UP should be happening this week. I am really hoping to see some early starts this upcoming weekend. Or maybe even find some useable mushies. Either way, it's always nice to get into the forest. <3

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
IT'S SPRING BEAR SEASON! Be sure and wear your hunter orange while you're poking around out there. Last year I was out morel hunting and ran into some dogs (a lot of them) and hunters. Wouldn't want to be mistaken for a bear!

It's also turkey season.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let's get after it! Idaho hosts some incredible Morel hunt areas. I will post as soon as it starts coming on! Hope for a little rain and some warm temps right after!
hey shroomer, got a couple questions, what part of the state do you reside? im a native from the silver valley, pinehurst, went to kellogg, been wanting to go back and look, but its a long drive to go look.. do they growup the north fork cda river?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts