Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Idaho 2022 Morel Season

12K views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  emarler 
#1 ·
Just wanted to start a 2022 season thread for those of us here in Idaho. Lord willing, gonna be out hunting starting this weekend, and then again every weekend until the end of the season. Let's post our finds and inspire others to get outside and enjoy the hunt! To get us all excited, here's a lovely black I found last year. Don't ask me where, I can't seem to remember...

Insect Grass Terrestrial animal Arthropod Terrestrial plant

See less See more
#7 ·
Oh yeah. We have grays, blacks and blondes. I have been hunting since 1980, so I have seen the highs and lows. Moisture is the key and lots of hiking also helps.
Hope there are others in Idaho jump on the board. Not a lot of chatter on here, but your enthusiasm may bring some folks into the mix. Goodluck out there.

#40 ·
@Shroomer3

Question for you, have you ever run across chanterelles in our mountains? If so, I would love to hunt those at some point, any tips would be appreciated!
Sorry for the long delay in my reply but I was out of country. Yes, the chanterelle season starts in the Autumn just before the first frost. We also have Boletus season all summer as the monsoon season arrives. If the monsoon does not arrive neither do the porcini. Hope this helps! Get outside my friends and go shroomin'!!

#9 ·
I am planning to be out there tomorrow also, and am also not excited about the colder weather coming in. But I know that the higher elevations have yet to pop so while the freezing temps may affect the lower elevations, the higher elevations should still hold promise. Good luck to you tomorrow, hope to hear a report of some finds!

#11 · (Edited)
Was hiking at approx. 4,000-4,500 ft. today, I was hoping after that warm stretch we had the soil on south facing slopes might be warm enough. And should any have popped, I wanted to rescue them before the nasty lows headed our way. Alas, no such luck! Found a number of bright orange gyromitra, that's about it. The ground was still nearly frozen in many spots. Will check again in another two weeks or so. All things as they were, I was thankful that they hadn't popped, only to be frozen solid in a few days.

@Calipya

Any luck today?

#17 · (Edited)
Glad y'all had fun! The morels will come eventually! I went up yesterday again, had a great time and spotted my first little brown mushroom of the season poking up out of some tree fall. You can bet I'll be back there when it's a bit warmer looking for morels! Eh, who's kidding who, I'll be back there next weekend, Lord willing! I absolutely love hiking, scouting, and exploring, also keeping an eye out for antler sheds. It's gonna be a good year I hope!

Lovely picture of the wildflowers, by the way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.