Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a few mushrooms like this back in late November. Unfortunately it was getting dark, so I had to use the flash on my phone. Any idea what it could be? It burst open like a flower. In River Legacy Park, home of the super-rare Devil's Cigar. Any chance?
thumbnail (9).jpeg

·
Registered
54 Posts
I believe those are earth stars. I haven't spent much time on the ID, but I see those (or something very similar) in the hill country pretty regularly. Along with cup fungi, they seem to be a good early indicator for morels.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe those are earth stars. I haven't spent much time on the ID, but I see those (or something very similar) in the hill country pretty regularly. Along with cup fungi, they seem to be a good early indicator for morels.
Thanks for the info. I checked out earth stars and that may be what they were. When I looked for the them a few days later they were too dried up to identify. I'd really like to come across the Devil's Cigar sometime, guess I'll have to keep looking.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Some earth stars will open or close or re-open or re-close due to wet or dry weather. I've Picked some, with a bit of substrate attached, and put closed ones on a damp paper towel, covered it and had them re-open. Some opened and closed several times. This was always a hit at mushroom club meetings. When it rains the puffball in the center of the earth star gets hit by rain drops which help expel the spores which are aided in germination by the moisture. When it dries up they close to protect the puffball andspores until rains cause it to re-open again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts