Illinois 2018

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by rookiemistake19, Mar 30, 2018.

1. rookiemistake19

rookiemistake19 Morel Enthusiast

What better time to embark on a very spontaneous, 800 mile, crash in the car, morel trip? From Wisco but making the trek to the southern tip of Illinois after work today. Wish me luck peeps, I'm going in blind. My last year morel hunting before I turn 30 and can't blame random irresponsibilites like this one on me being in my 20's! ;) Wish me luck.

2. northcentral

northcentral Morel Enthusiast

That is... AWESOME. Good luck. Are you going to Shawnee? I would think it would be a bit early but who cares. Hope you find some.

3. rookiemistake19

That was originally the plan but now we're going just a bit further to start in Kentucky and stop where we see fit as we head towards Shawnee. Is Shawnee a popular "known" spot?

1 person likes this.
  4. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

Get In the woods early because a lot of people morel hunt there

5. MASSAC

MASSAC Young Morel

It is popular but Shawnee covers multiple counties and spans from the Ohio river to Mississippi River so there's plenty of ground there that hasn't been hunted, especially this early in the season. If it were me I would wait a week but you should still find some.

6. rookiemistake19

Thanks much for the feedback. I truly appreciate any help I can get before driving this far. Will post update tomorrow evening.

7. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Hats off to you, happy for ya!! Growing up isn't all it's cracked up to be.....

Tool fan and (deleted member) like this.
  8. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Amen!!

9. Tool fan

Tool fan Morel Connoisseur

686F67F6-B3BE-44BE-9816-DEB4F60321EE.png Hope this helps good luck

10. rookiemistake19

Awesome. Thank you. At advance auto in Rockford now... Buddies truck battery volts dropped from 14 to barely over 12 and the battery light came on... Guys about to come test the alternator and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that's not what it is.

11. SoILL84

SoILL84 Morel Enthusiast

I checked my spots around Carbondale...union/Williamson county line this afternoon and still nothing popping. I know there's some up down here but not very many yet

12. rookiemistake19

Good Friday my ass.... jk I love you Jesus but come on mannnnn.. At least we were only 80 miles out. Same exact trip planned for 2 weeks from now unless the kids want to go on a roadie next weekend. Good luck to those who get out tomorrow.

13. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

Sorry to hear that man. Was following hoping to hear sucess for you guys. Good luck on your next trip.

1 person likes this.
  14. JimboSlice

JimboSlice Young Morel

Scoured my woods in Collinsville, on a northern slope, nothing yet.

15. MorelDude88

MorelDude88 Morel Enthusiast

southern facing slopes for early season.

16. fish4life

fish4life Young Morel

That sounds like an awesome trip have fun and good luck

17. SoILL84

SoILL84 Morel Enthusiast

Well after 7 trips out to my known spots I finally had some good luck. I hit a spot that is usually a few days behind the others and sure enough they were up. Had to get all I could before this weekend since we're supposed to get up to 4" of snow Friday nite...right at 4.6#. 0405181220.jpg

MorelDude88, Tool fan, MASSAC and 4 others like this.
  18. MASSAC

MASSAC Young Morel

Nice find. What county?

19. SoILL84

SoILL84 Morel Enthusiast

Williamson

MorelDude88 likes this.
  20. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Enthusiast

Heard that you guys in So. Ill. were finding some. I'm stuck up here in NE OH, and it will be a while for us with this weather. Looked at a national map and didn't realize how far south Ill reached. Damn near to Arkansas! Good luck hunting.