Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What better time to embark on a very spontaneous, 800 mile, crash in the car, morel trip? From Wisco but making the trek to the southern tip of Illinois after work today. Wish me luck peeps, I'm going in blind. My last year morel hunting before I turn 30 and can't blame random irresponsibilites like this one on me being in my 20's! ;) Wish me luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was originally the plan but now we're going just a bit further to start in Kentucky and stop where we see fit as we head towards Shawnee. Is Shawnee a popular "known" spot?

·
Registered
4 Posts
That was originally the plan but now we're going just a bit further to start in Kentucky and stop where we see fit as we head towards Shawnee. Is Shawnee a popular "known" spot?
It is popular but Shawnee covers multiple counties and spans from the Ohio river to Mississippi River so there's plenty of ground there that hasn't been hunted, especially this early in the season. If it were me I would wait a week but you should still find some.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks much for the feedback. I truly appreciate any help I can get before driving this far. Will post update tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
What better time to embark on a very spontaneous, 800 mile, crash in the car, morel trip? From Wisco but making the trek to the southern tip of Illinois after work today. Wish me luck peeps, I'm going in blind. My last year morel hunting before I turn 30 and can't blame random irresponsibilites like this one on me being in my 20's! ;) Wish me luck.
Hats off to you, happy for ya!! Growing up isn't all it's cracked up to be.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome. Thank you. At advance auto in Rockford now... Buddies truck battery volts dropped from 14 to barely over 12 and the battery light came on... Guys about to come test the alternator and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that's not what it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I checked my spots around Carbondale...union/Williamson county line this afternoon and still nothing popping. I know there's some up down here but not very many yet

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good Friday my ass.... jk I love you Jesus but come on mannnnn.. At least we were only 80 miles out. Same exact trip planned for 2 weeks from now unless the kids want to go on a roadie next weekend. Good luck to those who get out tomorrow.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Heard that you guys in So. Ill. were finding some. I'm stuck up here in NE OH, and it will be a while for us with this weather. Looked at a national map and didn't realize how far south Ill reached. Damn near to Arkansas! Good luck hunting.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts