Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
NIce piles there tommy, how much did they weigh? Anything in the cottonwood family is pretty much good for morels anywhere. Same stuff as Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma pretty much as far as the types of trees you look for. Some just seem to work better in some spots than others. Not near as many elm down here as there was even 10 years ago. The Cave is a hilly place and many hunt it, timing the season is hard, last year was real late. Some years its early April. What do you pick on up north to get those piles?

·
Registered
333 Posts
NIce piles there tommy, how much did they weigh? Anything in the cottonwood family is pretty much good for morels anywhere. Same stuff as Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma pretty much as far as the types of trees you look for. Some just seem to work better in some spots than others. Not near as many elm down here as there was even 10 years ago. The Cave is a hilly place and many hunt it, timing the season is hard, last year was real late. Some years its early April. What do you pick on up north to get those piles?
Almost always elm trees, that trip i think was a 20lbs weekend. We are always in the hills and never the low lands, have tried to get them in the bottoms but can never figure them out.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well i am not a bottom expert, I think some is luck. Walk in circles for miles looking down. But damaged cottonwoods and sometimes live silver maple are my best bets in the bottoms. On the other hand I got over #20 one hot day last spring in the bottoms in a patch of live cottonwoods no thicker than your leg and not showing any damage. Back after the 2011 flood there were morels every where up the Mo. R. to Sioux City. Killed a lot of cottonwoods. Not as many elms in the hills as up your way, but some spots still have a few. Sure was a lot easier 20 years ago to tag elm. Some spots the ash do well some years. many are sick now due to the borers, maybe they will kick out more before they are all gone like in Michigan.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well i am not a bottom expert, I think some is luck. Walk in circles for miles looking down. But damaged cottonwoods and sometimes live silver maple are my best bets in the bottoms. On the other hand I got over #20 one hot day last spring in the bottoms in a patch of live cottonwoods no thicker than your leg and not showing any damage. Back after the 2011 flood there were morels every where up the Mo. R. to Sioux City. Killed a lot of cottonwoods. Not as many elms in the hills as up your way, but some spots still have a few. Sure was a lot easier 20 years ago to tag elm. Some spots the ash do well some years. many are sick now due to the borers, maybe they will kick out more before they are all gone like in Michigan.
Only found them once in the cottonwoods and it was a cut cottonwood field, they were all over

1 - 8 of 8 Posts