Instinct and Impulse

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by shroom god, Jan 27, 2015.

1. mr_shroombastic

mr_shroombastic Young Morel

Newby here.....Anybody finding anything in Johnson County? Went looking briefly but nothing. Will this cold mess with the season and ruin it, or will it recover with some warm weather in a couple weeks?

Obviously, being new to the game I don't know a damn thing.

Cheers

2. woodsguy13421

woodsguy13421 Morel Enthusiast

Shroom God I went to red rock on Wednesday monring it was windy and cold and I didn't find any there yet.My only find was last sat in my yard

3. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Well we'll well. Mother nature isn't playing fair. Not gonna say I feel sorry for you. Same thing here going to be sporadic to say the least. Water here none there. Scrib best photos of the year! I looked twice as hard cuz of it. God go forth and prosper. You still have time....pride cometh before the fall....

4. buckthornman

Schroom dog have no fear for none of them can stop da time!!!!!:)

5. scrid

scrid Morel Enthusiast

Bucktornman...I did my best where there were violets in bloom and an occasional plant that looked like a dry leaf cabbage. May see some of those cabbage plants in my pics. Hell some of the Morels were right next to them. Hope that helps. Oh and it seems cottonwood trees are just as good as elms. JMO

6. buckthornman

Scrid don't sell your self short. Them pics are perfect. If this year only yields a few pretty I had better be grateful. We just never know! I don't know if God,old elm,morels rat,s trooper. We all live in this eco system together with hopes and dreams of the best year. But in reality we don't know. Some say it's just a part of it, we got to fulfill da book:)

7. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

Every year at this time is the best year, because its now, not memories not dreams, its now. Funny how I never talk to you guys until this time of year, always look forward to it. And Shroom God, is way better than shroom dog. At first thought you where a little conceded, but after reading many of your posts I accept you are the Shroom god. God I need to find some morels, living in MN is hard this time of year.

8. shroomtrooper

Hey Buckthornman, googled what a wren song is, made me laugh.

9. buckthornman

S trooper know whining. I live in middle mn. We will get ours. We are just the last to get ours. If you are having that much of a opportunity call me. I will show you the way. Old elm is right not many hunters around here. Still feels virgin. Hope it stays that way:) and he's by lacrosse I think?

10. buckthornman

Wrens,lilacs,oak leaves the size of a puppies ear,dandelions, mowing the lawn twice, 20 miles a day, elms,Cottonwoods,popular groves, just get out and live it. Walk that buckthorn get a few scratchesn. If your not in the thorn your not really hunting.

11. shroomtrooper

Ha, virgin? where I go there are pros out there. Stumps everywhere. I have gotten up early to see cars 2 hours before sunrise. Are they using flashlights?

12. sci shroomer

sci shroomer Morel Enthusiast

[​IMG]

All of these found in the same spot I pulled a pound out of last Saturday. My mother in law and brother in law went about one hour before us and haAbout the same. They had alot of little grays. As you can see I found some yellows. Not fully popped up but if I left them someone else wouldn't have left them for another day to get bigger. Saddens me people live in the now soo much and are not capable of patience to let something grow to full size. Any feed back from your area would greatly appreciated. God Bless and Happy Shrooming. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  13. shroomtrooper

Shroom God, how did your first day go, looks like your timing is going to be right on this year.

14. res

res Morel Enthusiast

Took 20 or 30 minutes from the shop and went to my pasture yesterday. Found 10 or 12 small grays. picked 5 or 6 bout inch or 2 tall, left 5 or 6 to see if they grow larger Leaving them to grow doesn't worry me somebody else will get since it my own pasture. Kinda private shroomin ground. They weren't on a south faceing slope though Actually a north faceing slope Under small Elms Very healty elms with bark dropping off just a small brach or two. Wonder how long it will take for the ones I left to grow. I'll let ya all know how they prosper. Think I'll play hooky from the shop and go to the timber a hour or two this morning..

15. res

res Morel Enthusiast

By the way folks Never mentioned what county I'm in. I'm in Polk county just north of Des Moines.

16. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

I've had the suspicion for a few years now that in my woods, where nearly all of the elms have died and vanished, that the morels might be transmigrating over to honey locust trees. This idea was reinforced yesterday as I found lots of morels exclusively under or near honey locusts and often tucked away near the base of a sticker bush. Still a hunch this is taking place with no real empirical way to prove it other than observation over time. It was a thrilling day in the woods. Found one vein that ran about 100 feet long by 15 feet wide that contained close to 100 morels. Walked very slowly and just kept finding them as I traversed the vein, which was mostly south facing and on top of a gentle slope near the fence line. They are getting bigger, the largest measuring close to 3 inches. Found a few others in some other traditionally strong areas and think that that these are just getting going and should produce for another couple of weeks like they normally do.

17. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Interesting observation there SWI Shroomer. I'll have to stoop and look at some of those. Was that the spot north of Centerville? Shroomtrooper, my wife got called into work yesterday so I had to watch our granddaughter until 1, and then it was spitting or pouring rain. As of 9:00 this morning It's still raining. Tomorrow should be dry but I can't sit here any longer. After waiting 335 days for this I can't wait any longer. I'm outta here! The forecast for the week ahead looks like I timed it right. Moisture is perfect, temps expected to rise gradually to near 70. Awesome. How are conditions up your way?

18. shroomtrooper

We got a real nice soaking rain, now the season is safe from a dry out. Forecast looks excellent, was worried about the cooler temps pushing my May 6th and 7th vacation days back, but I believe the process was started and I will be able to find some on those days. Maybe 80 degrees by next Sat. Seeing Dandelions no flowers on them yet. Ya you sure got alot of rain down there, should be a good year.

19. jamie

jamie Morel Connoisseur

swi- Not trying to rain on your parade but.......morel spores are airborn. Thats why you find them around sticker bushes and cedar. A Morel can grow anywhere. They fruit best in soft wood such as elm, cottonwood ect. Think of the spores as snow. Wherever you see snow piled up in the wniter as it is blown around is the same place the spores land. Its a matter of if where they land the conditions are right to grow. I got a pic somewhere of a morel growing out of a hedge tree stump about a foot off the ground. Hedge is the hardest wood around. The spore was caught behind a piece of bark which had also caught enough dirt or dust from the road nearby....That one messed with me a while. Check the grass where a tree aint even around. Thats where Im finding alot and nobody seems to hunt the grass......

20. mivame

mivame Morel Enthusiast

Its the mycelium that fruits shrooms. Not the spores..."tom volk's morel page" for more details...