Instinct and Impulse

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by shroom god, Jan 27, 2015.

1. mivame

mivame Morel Enthusiast

Shroomgod- don't think ur timing could b any better!! Maybe ur way end of week, been years...keep me posted!!! Have you seen any posts from a guy goes by se ia picker?? He was a machine in ur neck. Few years back...

2. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Good info, jamie and Mivame. Not ready to give up my honey locust theory just yet, though. That is quite interesting about the hedge wood morel. That gives me an explanation about something I have wondered about forever.

3. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Yes great observations. I,'ll give you a a++ guys. God get out there in your poison ivy banana cover and run it:) I was thinking scrid said naked and afraid. I say live free or die guy Colbert. That's who you resemble:) lol any who! Get to gettin but that's great of you to spend time with the little ones. My youngest is 4 and she is my little morels!

4. buckthornman

Trooper we are on tap for starting next week prob Friday with the weather to come. Can't friggin wait. Still been check-in spots. As God would say we're on the cusp. Good hunting to my favorites, old elm,God ,s trooper,scrid, rat. We will get ours! If we don,t then o well morels. There is other schrooms out there!!!!!

5. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

I think what SWI shroomer is saying that since there is no elms its mycelium is tapping into the honey locust roots and having a Mycorrhizal association with it. could be, evolution. Yes Bucthornman, I fully believe it will start around the first of the month or close to it thanks to the warm spell and rain. I wasn't so sure last week. Yes there are other mushrooms out there, want to make a turkey tail tonic this year. Scrid, you still pounding the woods? If you dont report soon, gods gonna put you as missing again. :-D

6. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Washington/Johnson County line > Paid my dues and walked 5 hours, half of it in drizzle, for 122 grays. Most were 2-inchers, the largest was 3.5 inches. Jack in the pulpits have made some strides since last Sunday. Also saw several gyromitra this time out. No mayflower bloom yet. Can hardly wait for tomorrow.

Shroomtrooper, your vacation should be timed about right. NWS shows conditions west of I-35 and south of I-80 are better/earlier than north central/northeast. I hope you're prepared to encounter vast areas of the nodular fruiting of mycelium that has undergone mycorrhizal disruption and is in shock. :cool:

7. shroomtrooper

Well I am well north of I-80, but west of I-35. Figure they will just be starting but will come fast. I would be very happy with 122 grays any day, not just the first day. Hate to tell you this but I think Scrid is missing again.

8. scrid

scrid Morel Enthusiast

I'm still here guys ....lurking...keeping an eye on what you guys are doing. Somebody's gotta watch ya forest thieves!!! :wink:
    I'm planning on going back out tomorrow if possible. My usual area requires I cross a couple logs over 3 foot deep water for about 15 feet or so....kinda dangerous with the rain lately. I'll be taking more pics and posting. Get out there guys their up.

9. shroomtrooper

Good luck, bring a life preserver maybe. Still waiting and planing up here. I have alot of new area this year, cant wait to see if they pan out. Had to write them down so I wouldn't forget. Good luck.

10. buckthornman

Nice pick God. Morelin ain't easy. Scrid make sure to bring the aed. Or at least a bottle of whiskey:) daughter found 8 dandelion in yard today! I'm ready. Gonna be the end of next week. Woohoo!

11. scrid

scrid Morel Enthusiast

Cant help but post this guys. :lol:

12. scrid

scrid Morel Enthusiast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9isHph2lqsY

13. scrid

scrid Morel Enthusiast

I don't condone trespassing or for crying out loud picking shrooms with a plastic bag,...but is kinda funny.

14. res

res Morel Enthusiast

Well walked a nieghbors 40 acre timber for couple hours today. When I asked permission first, they told me they had never found even one shroom. I saw oak trees, walnut trees, hickory trees. Not even one elm. I did see honey locust and checked them. I also didn't see even one shroom. I did locate couple more in my pasture, and the ones I left to grow yesterday appeared bigger today. I think......maybe just wishful thinking. I'll keep ya all informed on their progress.

15. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Thanx, Buckthornman, it's a decent start but I know today's gonna be better. I need to roust my daughter up and we're heading south to the state line. Hope you make a haul in the coming week. Conditions are prime for a bumper crop, don't you think? SCRID, good luck crossing that creek, and especially on the way back with all those bags filled. Mushrooms float, so if you fall in and lose 'em we'll be looking forward to a story about "mushroom fishing." Res, you paid your dues, so now is your time. This is the moment when your destiny collides with fortune. Go forward and slay the shrooms! Shroomtrooper, are the woods awakening up there?

Speaking of that, I need to wake someone up!

16. buckthornman

Have a sporific day God:) scrid that's some funny stuff. Still salivating over them pics:) god remember your helping teach the spores of tomorrow. My daughter is my lucky charm! Gotta go to work. Think about that while your hunting today.

17. shroomtrooper

Woods are not awake, soil temp way low. Went out this morning to pick some ramps for my eggs, actually really helped get over the morel bug. Big question is how fast will the woods awaken. I know the start of my vacation will just be earlier spots, well if it takes 5 days for soil to warm up and another 6 days for them to grow I will be alright, thinking it might take slightly longer but we will see.

18. scrid

scrid Morel Enthusiast

Yes , conditions seem best they have been in a few years. Good luck guys. Like I said I already been finding them in west central Iowa

19. res

res Morel Enthusiast

Well Folks found bout 25 or 30 today.... 4 or 5 under a crab apple tree. Found most of them on a south faceing slope, bout half way to the bottom. Once I found the first Yellow shroom I quickly found I was on my hands and knees crawling back up the hill I had just walked down....finding one after another that I must have nearly stepped on a minute ago. Come on now,,, you guys all know you've done it . Crawling on your hands and knees through the grass.....Left several smaller ones behind. Gonna take the grand kids out to find them later this week. ( now that I already know where they're at )... Grandkids I'm takeing are 4 boys rangeing in age 7 thru 10 yrs.

20. shroomtrooper

Shroom God, how ya doing. Need a report. What county are you in?