Iowa 2016 Morel Mania

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by scrid, Feb 22, 2016.

1. scrid

scrid Morel Enthusiast

Ping for 2016!
    Hello all!
    Let's get stoked for shrooming!
    ;-)

2. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Calling God where are you? Hope your doing alright. Like some words of wisdom on the year! Or at least one of those great stories you write!!!into the thorn...

3. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur

I am ready ! I am stoked. Check out the new bags I just finished. !

Here is a link to the shop, This new camo is being displayed on a brand new material. It is a Micro Polyester Mesh - Spore Friendly !

https://www.etsy.com/listing/271436227/morel-spore-friendly-mesh-bag-hardwood?ref=shop_home_active_1

This camo is also available in my double panel nylon Heavy Duty Mesh bags. Maximum size is 12 x 18.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  4. shroomhawk

shroomhawk Morel Enthusiast

Nice bag, Nutsak. Good luck if you happen to drop it. You'll never find it!

5. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Like the advent of spring itself, we are coming alive. I noted that the first wave of robins, <em>turdis migratorius</em>, arrived unusually early, on January 21. As I gazed upon that spectacle I thought them rather foolish (or at least impulsive); I was as certain as could be that they would soon wish they were still frolicking in Florida when the next ice storm or blizzard visited itself upon them. Lo and behold, as it so happens, their arrival seems to have foretold an early spring!

It was about 5 years ago that I found morels in Washington County on April 1. That's the earliest I've found them. Routinely it happens around April 10–12; last year it was April 17. But judging from the awakening all around us it's shaping up to be an early season, and I'm once more ready to feel the wrath of the thorn and bleed for the moment of each year that I live for. Imagine...within a few, mere weeks that old, weathered post will be graced by the meadowlark as it has been for more years than can be remembered. At about that time our careful gaze will fix itself upon that first morel of the season and mind, body and soul will merge amid the energy of that sweet adrenalin rush of that instant when the puzzle of the forest floor suddenly comes into sharp focus.
    As I see it, the rhythm of nature offers us a degree of certainty that is comforting in a world in which there are otherwise few guarantees. I hope we never lose that guarantee and the comfort it brings, however there is cause for some concern. But for now, once again, it's only a matter of time--and time seems to be on our side this year. Drink deeply of the moment.

6. buckthornman

Thank god for that....well that was pretty good God! I like the part about time. It's always,always time... I hope I made you feel. Cuz time it's always,always time...Bucky!!!

7. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

Shroomgod, April 1st is almost here, are you ready in body and mind. I bet you where ready a month ago. Good luck.

8. shroomtrooper

Scrid showed up early this year

9. shroom god

Yeah, Scrid is out early this year. He must be rarin' to go. I hope we hear more from him. I'm ready shroomtrooper. You're in WI, right? Buckthorn is in MN I believe. I'm probably wrong because my memory about such things is poor. That's because all the space is taken up remembering where all those killer elms are. I make mental notes of them all year long, every time I see one. My memory is like a big bulletin board with tree notes covering it. Anyone else do that?

Won't be long. I a bit of a cool spell but that's okay...plenty of moisture. April 1 seems a bit optimistic at this point. For me, the rise and fall of optimism in concert with the season's awakening is a big part of the excitement. No matter what, every minute that passes brings us closer to that moment when we spot and pick the first one, and it's ON.

10. shroom god

Today I wish I lived in Arkansas. Assuming the truth was told, Glassman found one a few days ago. IT'S COMING OUR WAY!

11. buckthornman

Yep mn. Be nice to be ark today! It will happen we will get ours dog I mean god! Off to work....

12. shroomtrooper

I am in MN. Going to take my son and his best friend snowboarding in Montana, I ski, but I am not that good. Funny, I have never been to a mountain before, and only 13 hour drive away. So its taking my mind off of morels a little bit.Heard a post some Fiddle-heads starting to come up. I have no idea if its true or not. I see nothing coming up yet. Good luck to you all.

13. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

You Iowa folks are always ready for the season. I am in Nw.Mo, 90 miles south of the border. Still looking 10-14 days out here I think. SG - my earliest is March 20 around here. Probably the same year as you. the year without a real winter. Hope things slow up just a little so a freeze does not ruin the season. happy picking this year.

14. huntergatherer

huntergatherer Morel Enthusiast

Shroom god, glad to hear you and the rest of the group made it through the winter, although i hear it may not be over just yet, my truck and trailer are packed and ready to go, goona wait another week or so and leave arizona to head up your way with a few stops in oklahoma, missouri, kansas and nebraska on the way, i've never shroomed any of those places before, but it can't be much different than iowa can it?

15. shroom god

Hunter, great to hear from you on the WAY southern flan--Arizona!? Help me out--were you the one who clued us in to cactus sticks--the woody core of saguaro cacti? God almighty regardless, you must be seriously hardcore if you're driving a thousand miles to hunt! Stay in touch as the season progresses and let's coordinate a hunt or two. Rock on.

16. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Good to see some familiar names here at the onset, the cusp, the verge of another season. Oh boy! Hope to be back here soon with reports of my first find which, if I had to guess, will be in another 10 to 12 days.

17. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Happy New Morel Year SW. Glad to see you made it through the winter. Saw my first ones down here on Monday. Way early. There were more on the same trees today. Letting them all grow but we need rain. Missed the last one. How is the moisture up there?

18. huntergatherer

Shroom god, yep long trip to Iowa from AZ, closer to 1600 miles, but well worth it, thinking i'll take off wed or thurs and slowly head up yer way, I'm thinking Iowa shrooms around the 10th, what do you think? it would be nice to have a few pounds before i get up your way, sounds good, let get together for a beer and a walk in the woods, I'll be in touch with a progress report. cary

19. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Hunter, where are you cutting through MO. at?

20. huntergatherer

kb, goona play in kansas a bit then enter Mo. at Shawnee Trail, then over to I 49, head north, bypass KC, then go north on I 29 to st joe and north, mostly 2 lane rods though, i like to stay off the beaten path, to Nebraska and Iowa, never hunted the area before, but i have traveled the area dozens of times and always wanted to hit the good looking areas, this year i have the time so i'm goona do it, me and my wirehairs ace and sally, should be a great trip, planning on 3 weeks or so should be epic if the shrooms cooperate.